Virus infections in immunocompromised patients: their importance and their management.
AffiliationDepartment of Virology, Withington Hospital, Manchester M20 8LR
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractOpportunistic viral infections were investigated in 156 adult patients admitted over one year to a medical oncology service: 35% of the total group and 65% of those with acute leukaemia experienced viral infections, 79% of which were with viruses of the herpes group. Surprisingly few enteric viruses were recovered. Reactivation of herpes simplex virus in the brains of these immunosuppressed patients was suggested by the demonstration by nucleic acid hybridization of herpes simplex virus DNA sequences in neurones and endothelial cells in patients with evidence of past infection with virus. Acyclovir was effective in therapy and prophylaxis. Twenty-three strains from 7 patients were tested for sensitivity to this antiviral: in 3 instances clinical resistance was observed but the strains were fully sensitive in vitro, as were all other strains tested.
CitationVirus infections in immunocompromised patients: their importance and their management. 1985, 78 (2):100-5 J R Soc Med
JournalJournal of the Royal Society of Medicine
- Detection of HSV1 DNA by in situ hybridisation in human brain after immunosuppression.
- Authors: Saldanha J, Sutton RN, Gannicliffe A, Farragher B, Itzhaki RF
- Issue date: 1986 Jun
- Frequency and significance of acyclovir-resistant herpes simplex virus isolated from marrow transplant patients receiving multiple courses of treatment with acyclovir.
- Authors: Wade JC, McLaren C, Meyers JD
- Issue date: 1983 Dec
- Recurrent herpes simplex virus hepatitis after liver retransplantation despite acyclovir therapy.
- Authors: Longerich T, Eisenbach C, Penzel R, Kremer T, Flechtenmacher C, Helmke B, Encke J, Kraus T, Schirmacher P
- Issue date: 2005 Oct
- Oral acyclovir therapy for mucocutaneous herpes simplex virus infections in immunocompromised marrow transplant recipients.
- Authors: Shepp DH, Newton BA, Dandliker PS, Flournoy N, Meyers JD
- Issue date: 1985 Jun
- [Clinical utility of susceptibility testing of herpes simplex virus to acyclovir].
- Authors: Otegui M, Rabella N, Labeaga R, Herrero M, Margall N, Muñoz JM, Prats G
- Issue date: 2001 Dec