Weibel-Palade bodies as a marker for neovascularization induced by tumor and rheumatoid angiogenesis factors.
AffiliationManchester Polytechnic, Chester Street, Manchester, M1 5GD
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractAn analysis was made of ultrastructural changes in capillary endothelial cells in experimentally induced angiogenesis and in a human pathological situation known to involve increased angiogenesis. Chick chorioalloantoic membrane (CAM) showing a positive angiogenic response to low-molecular weight angiogenesis factor isolated from rat Walker sarcoma or from human rheumatoid joint was compared with untreated CAM. Serotonin-treated CAM provided an additional control in that serotonin has the capacity to stimulate endothelial cell growth in vitro but did not induce angiogenesis on the CAM. Human rheumatoid joints were studied using normal healthy human joints as controls. The number of Weibel-Palade (W-P) bodies per unit of cytoplasmic area were higher in tumor angiogenesis factor-treated CAMs (not significant) and rheumatoid angiogenesis factor-treated CAMs (P less than 0.008) than in untreated controls. These differences were more pronounced if W-P body volumetric density was analyzed (P in both cases less than 0.008). Serotonin-treated control CAMs did not show higher numbers of W-P body or greater WPV than untreated controls. Numbers of W-P body and W-P body volumetric density were higher (P less than 0.008) in rheumatoid joints than normal joints. Median values for W-P body number were 16-fold higher and, for W-P body volumetric density, they were up to 30-fold higher in rheumatoid joints.
CitationWeibel-Palade bodies as a marker for neovascularization induced by tumor and rheumatoid angiogenesis factors. 1985, 45 (9):4339-48 Cancer Res
- Angiogenesis in hepatocellular carcinoma: an experimental study in the chick embryo chorioallantoic membrane.
- Authors: Marzullo A, Vacca A, Roncali L, Pollice L, Ribatti D
- Issue date: 1998 Jul
- [The modifying action of tumor necrosis factor on angiogenesis].
- Authors: Lisniak IA, Sopotsinskaia EB, Kudriavets IuI
- Issue date: 1989
- Induction of angiogenesis by mixtures of two angiogenic proteins, angiogenin and acidic fibroblast growth factor, in the chick chorioallantoic membrane.
- Authors: Fett JW, Bethune JL, Vallee BL
- Issue date: 1987 Aug 14
- [Bioassays of the angiogenic activity of tumor fractions on modified chick embryo chorioallantoic membrane. The absence of angiogenic effects].
- Authors: Aliev MK, Petukhov VB, Pozdniakov VS, Flotskaia NV, Ivanov VN
- Issue date: 1982 Mar-Apr
- Angiogenesis factors in ocular tissues of normal rabbits on chorioallantoic membrane assay.
- Authors: Okamoto T, Oikawa S, Toyota T, Goto Y
- Issue date: 1988 Jan