Inter-Regional Epidemiological Study of Childhood Cancer (IRESCC): childhood cancer and the consumption of debendox and related drugs in pregnancy.
Birch, Jillian M
Hartley, Ann L
AffiliationDepartment of epidemiology, Yorkshire Regional Cancer Organisation, Cookridge Hospital, Leeds LS16 6QB
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractAttention has recently focused on the possible teratogenic effects of the combination antiemetic doxylamine succinate, dicyclomine hydrochloride and pyridoxine hydrochloride (Debendox/Bendectin) prescribed to pregnant women. The Inter-Regional Epidemiological Study of Childhood Cancer (IRESCC), a case-control investigation has analysed data derived from interview reports and medical records of 555 mothers of children (under 15 years) with cancer and 1110 mothers of matched control children. Separate analyses of interview reports and medical records both suggested that antiemetic ingestion during the index pregnancy does not increase the risk of developing childhood malignant disease in the exposed foetus. No dose-response relationship was evident. The lack of any significant relative risks held good for diagnostic sub-groups and when the trimester of ingestion was considered. Our results suggest that antimetics of this type are unlikely to be transplacental carcinogens.
CitationInter-Regional Epidemiological Study of Childhood Cancer (IRESCC): childhood cancer and the consumption of debendox and related drugs in pregnancy. 1985, 52 (6):923-9 Br J Cancer
JournalBritish Journal of Cancer
- [2 cases of malformations of a limb in infants of mothers treated with an antiemetic in a very early phase of pregnancy].
- Authors: Soverchia G, Perri PF
- Issue date: 1981 Jan-Feb
- Debendox in the dock.
- Authors: Brown A
- Issue date: 1980 Feb 21
- The innocent bystander. Doxylamine/dicyclomine/pyridoxine and congenital limb defects.
- Authors: McCredie J, Kricker A, Elliott J, Forrest J
- Issue date: 1984 Apr 28
- Fetal malformation after Debendox treatment in early pregnancy.
- Issue date: 1978 Apr 22
- Debendox in early pregnancy and fetal malformation.
- Authors: Fleming DM, Knox JD, Crombie DL
- Issue date: 1981 Jul 11