Leydig cell damage after testicular irradiation for lymphoblastic leukaemia.
AffiliationDepartment of Endocrinology, Christie Hospital
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe effect of testicular irradiation on Leydig cell function has been studied in a group of boys irradiated between 1 and 5 years earlier for a testicular relapse of acute lymphoblastic leukaemia. Six of the seven boys irradiated during prepubertal life had an absent testosterone response to HCG stimulation. Two of the four boys irradiated during puberty had an appropriate basal testosterone level, but the testosterone response to HCG stimulation was subnormal in three of the four. Abnormalities in gonadotrophin secretion consistent with testicular damage were noted in nine of the 11 boys. Evidence of severe Leydig cell damage was present irrespective of whether the boys were studied within 1 year or between 3 and 5 years after irradiation, suggesting that recovery is unlikely. Androgen replacement therapy has been started in four boys and will be required by the majority of the remainder to undergo normal pubertal development.
CitationLeydig cell damage after testicular irradiation for lymphoblastic leukaemia. 1985, 13 (2):65-8 Med Pediatr Oncol
JournalMedical and Pediatric Oncology
- The effect of testicular irradiation on Leydig cell function in prepubertal boys with acute lymphoblastic leukaemia.
- Authors: Leiper AD, Grant DB, Chessells JM
- Issue date: 1983 Nov
- Leydig-cell function in children after direct testicular irradiation for acute lymphoblastic leukemia.
- Authors: Brauner R, Czernichow P, Cramer P, Schaison G, Rappaport R
- Issue date: 1983 Jul 7
- Testicular function after combination chemotherapy in childhood for acute lymphoblastic leukaemia.
- Authors: Shalet SM, Hann IM, Lendon M, Morris Jones PH, Beardwell CG
- Issue date: 1981 Apr
- Leydig cell function in boys following treatment for testicular relapse of acute lymphoblastic leukemia.
- Authors: Blatt J, Sherins RJ, Niebrugge D, Bleyer WA, Poplack DG
- Issue date: 1985 Sep
- [Pituitary-gonadal function following therapy of testicular relapse in boys with acute lymphoblastic leukemia].
- Authors: Brämswig JH, Schellong G, Nieschlag E
- Issue date: 1983 May-Jun