Gonadal damage due to radioactive iodine (I131) treatment for thyroid carcinoma.
AffiliationDepartment of Endocrinology, Christie Hospital & Holt Radium Institute, Withington, Manchester, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractPapillary carcinoma of the thyroid is the most common type of thyroid cancer and is associated with a good prognosis. Complications of treatment with surgery and radioiodine are uncommon. We report the case of a 13 year old boy who developed testicular damage following treatment with radioactive iodine 350 mCi for a papillary carcinoma of the thyroid. Four years after radioiodine treatment there has been no suggestion of recovery of spermatogenesis. Detailed follow-up studies of similarly treated young patients are required to define the incidence of this complication and to determine its reversibility.
CitationGonadal damage due to radioactive iodine (I131) treatment for thyroid carcinoma. 1985, 61 (714):361-2 Postgrad Med J
JournalPostgraduate Medical Journal
- Pregnancy outcome after diagnosis of differentiated thyroid carcinoma: no deleterious effect after radioactive iodine treatment.
- Authors: Chow SM, Yau S, Lee SH, Leung WM, Law SC
- Issue date: 2004 Jul 15
- Testicular dose and fertility in men following I(131) therapy for thyroid cancer.
- Authors: Hyer S, Vini L, O'Connell M, Pratt B, Harmer C
- Issue date: 2002 Jun
- Clinical outcome of patients with papillary thyroid carcinoma who have recurrence after initial radioactive iodine therapy.
- Authors: Vassilopoulou-Sellin R, Schultz PN, Haynie TP
- Issue date: 1996 Aug 1
- Outcome after treatment of high-risk papillary and non-Hürthle-cell follicular thyroid carcinoma.
- Authors: Taylor T, Specker B, Robbins J, Sperling M, Ho M, Ain K, Bigos ST, Brierley J, Cooper D, Haugen B, Hay I, Hertzberg V, Klein I, Klein H, Ladenson P, Nishiyama R, Ross D, Sherman S, Maxon HR
- Issue date: 1998 Oct 15
- Respiratory distress caused by radioiodine therapy in patients with differentiated thyroid cancer.
- Authors: Kinuya S, Yokoyama K, Michigishi T, Tonami N
- Issue date: 2006 Aug