Diagnostic imaging, a "parallel" discipline. Can current technology provide a reliable digital diagnostic radiology department?
AffiliationDepartment of Medical Physics and Bioengineering, Christie Hospital and Holt Radium Institute, Manchester
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractOnly recently has any detailed criticism been voiced about the practicalities of the introduction of generalised, digital, imaging complexes in diagnostic radiology. Although attendant technological problems are highlighted we argue that the fundamental causes of current difficulties are not in the generation but in the processing, filing and subsequent retrieval for display of digital image records. In the real world, looking at images is a parallel process of some complexity and so it is perhaps untimely to expect versatile handling of vast image data bases by existing computer hardware and software which, by their current nature, perform tasks serially. Successes in applying new imaging devices using digital technology, numerical methods and more easily available computing power are directing radiology towards the concept of all-digital departmental complexes. Hence a critical discussion of fundamental problems should be encouraged, to promote a thorough understanding of what may be involved (Gray et al, 1984) in following such a course. It is equally important to gain some perspective about the development possibilities for existing, commercially available equipment being offered to the medical community.
CitationDiagnostic imaging, a "parallel" discipline. Can current technology provide a reliable digital diagnostic radiology department? 1985, 58 (688):309-12 Br J Radiol
JournalBritish Journal of Radiology
- Computer networks for image management in radiology: an overview.
- Authors: Cox GG, Dwyer SJ 3rd, Templeton AW
- Issue date: 1986
- Computers in imaging and health care: now and in the future.
- Authors: Arenson RL, Andriole KP, Avrin DE, Gould RG
- Issue date: 2000 Nov
- [Digital image information systems in radiology--status and developmental trends].
- Authors: Greinacher CF, Müller K, Fuchs D
- Issue date: 1984 Sep
- Authors: Gitlin JN
- Issue date: 1986 Mar
- A peripheralized digital image management system: prospectus.
- Authors: Templeton AW, Dwyer SJ 3rd, Rosenthal SJ, Hensley KS, Martin NL, Anderson WH, Robinson RG, Levine E, Batnitzky S, Lee KR
- Issue date: 1982 Nov