Pulmonary embolism in patients receiving chemotherapy for advanced ovarian cancer.
AffiliationDepartment of Clinical Pharmacology, Christie Hospital & Holt Radium Institute, WIlmslow Road, Withington, Manchester M20 1BX, UK
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe incidence of pulmonary embolism was examined in a series of 83 patients who had received chemotherapy for advanced ovarian cancer and ten embolic episodes occurred. The incidence of pulmonary emboli was highest in those patients who had gross bulk disease (greater than 10 cm diameter) before chemotherapy and occurred in 9/49 cases, with all six fatalities being in this group. Five of the six fatal emboli occurred within 1 week of the first course of chemotherapy. As the mortality rate from pulmonary emboli in patients with gross bulk tumour was 12% in this series, anticoagulation before initiating chemotherapy is suggested for this group of patients.
CitationPulmonary embolism in patients receiving chemotherapy for advanced ovarian cancer. 1985, 21 (5):585-6 Eur J Cancer Clin Oncol
JournalEuropean Journal of Cancer & Clinical Oncology
- The role of hexamethylmelamine in the combination chemotherapy of advanced ovarian cancer: a comparison of hexamethylmelamine, cyclophosphamide, doxorubicin, and cisplatin (H-CAP) versus cyclophosphamide, doxorubicin, and cisplatin (CAP).
- Authors: Hainsworth JD, Jones HW 3rd, Burnett LS, Johnson DH, Greco FA
- Issue date: 1990 Oct
- A comparison of hexamethylmelamine (altretamine), cyclophosphamide, doxorubicin, and cisplatin (H-CAP) vs. cyclophosphamide, doxorubicin, and cisplatin (CAP) in advanced ovarian cancer.
- Authors: Greco FA, Johnson DH, Hainsworth JD
- Issue date: 1991 Mar
- Randomized comparison of hexamethylmelamine, adriamycin, cyclophosphamide (HAC) vs. cisplatin, adriamycin, cyclophosphamide (PAC) in advanced ovarian cancer: long-term results.
- Authors: Sessa C, Colombo N, Bolis G, Marsoni S, Mangioni C
- Issue date: 1991 Mar
- Advanced ovarian cancer: long-term results of treatment with intensive cisplatin-based chemotherapy of brief duration.
- Authors: Hainsworth JD, Grosh WW, Burnett LS, Jones HW 3rd, Wolff SN, Greco FA
- Issue date: 1988 Feb
- Pulmonary emboli in patients receiving chemotherapy for non-Hodgkin's lymphoma.
- Authors: Glenn LD, Armitage JO, Goldsmith JC, Sorensen S, Howe D, Weisenberger DD
- Issue date: 1988 Sep