Local radiotherapy in the management of squamous carcinoma of the anus.
AffiliationChristie Hospital and Holt Radium Institute, Manchester M20 9BX UK
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThis paper describes the results of treating 74 patients with squamous cell carcinoma of the anal canal and perianal skin using interstitial radiotherapy as primary treatment. This technique does not involve irradiation of regional lymph nodes. The local control rate for patients with tumours smaller than 5 cm and with negative inguinal nodes was significantly better than for the remaining patients (64 versus 23 per cent). Only 3 of 41 patients with tumours less than 5 cm diameter had clinically significant nodes at presentation, while in 33 patients with tumours larger than 5 cm there were 6 with involved nodes at presentation. Local treatment using interstitial radiotherapy is suggested as useful primary treatment for small, node-negative carcinomas, with surgery held in reserve for failures.
CitationLocal radiotherapy in the management of squamous carcinoma of the anus. 1985, 72 (4):282-5 Br J Surg
JournalBritish Journal of Surgery
- Tumor site predicts outcome after radiochemotherapy in squamous-cell carcinoma of the anal region: long-term results of 101 patients.
- Authors: Grabenbauer GG, Kessler H, Matzel KE, Sauer R, Hohenberger W, Schneider IH
- Issue date: 2005 Sep
- Size does matter: can we reduce the radiotherapy field size for selected cases of anal canal cancer undergoing chemoradiation?
- Authors: Crowley C, Winship AZ, Hawkins MA, Morris SL, Leslie MD
- Issue date: 2009 Jun
- Conservative treatment by irradiation of epidermoid cancers of the anal canal: prognostic factors of tumoral control and complications.
- Authors: Peiffert D, Bey P, Pernot M, Guillemin F, Luporsi E, Hoffstetter S, Aletti P, Boissel P, Bigard MA, Dartois D, Baylac F
- Issue date: 1997 Jan 15
- Results of definitive irradiation in a series of 305 epidermoid carcinomas of the anal canal.
- Authors: Deniaud-Alexandre E, Touboul E, Tiret E, Sezeur A, Houry S, Gallot D, Parc R, Huang R, Qu SH, Huart J, Pène F, Schlienger M
- Issue date: 2003 Aug 1
- [Epidermoid carcinomas of anal canal treated with radiation therapy and concomitant chemotherapy (5-fluorouracil and cisplatin)].
- Authors: Deniaud-Alexandre E, Touboul E, Tiret E, Sezeur A, Hannoun L, Houry S, Huguet F, Pène F, Parc R, Schlienger M
- Issue date: 2006 Dec