Local radiotherapy in the management of squamous carcinoma of the anus.
AffiliationChristie Hospital and Holt Radium Institute, Manchester M20 9BX UK
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThis paper describes the results of treating 74 patients with squamous cell carcinoma of the anal canal and perianal skin using interstitial radiotherapy as primary treatment. This technique does not involve irradiation of regional lymph nodes. The local control rate for patients with tumours smaller than 5 cm and with negative inguinal nodes was significantly better than for the remaining patients (64 versus 23 per cent). Only 3 of 41 patients with tumours less than 5 cm diameter had clinically significant nodes at presentation, while in 33 patients with tumours larger than 5 cm there were 6 with involved nodes at presentation. Local treatment using interstitial radiotherapy is suggested as useful primary treatment for small, node-negative carcinomas, with surgery held in reserve for failures.
CitationLocal radiotherapy in the management of squamous carcinoma of the anus. 1985, 72 (4):282-5 Br J Surg
JournalBritish Journal of Surgery
- Epidermoid carcinoma of the anal canal. Results of curative-intent radiation therapy in a series of 270 patients.
- Authors: Touboul E, Schlienger M, Buffat L, Lefkopoulos D, Pène F, Parc R, Tiret E, Gallot D, Malafosse M, Laugier A
- Issue date: 1994 Mar 15
- Low-dose-rate interstitial brachytherapy boost for the treatment of anal canal cancers.
- Authors: Cordoba A, Escande A, Leroy T, Mirabel X, Coche-Dequéant B, Lartigau E
- Issue date: 2017 Jan - Feb
- Inguinal lymph node recurrence in the untreated groin of patients with anal carcinoma.
- Authors: Blinde SE, Schasfoort R, Mens JW, Verhoef C, Olofsen M, Nuyttens JJ
- Issue date: 2014 May
- Radiotherapy for anal squamous cell carcinoma: must the upper pelvic nodes and the inguinal nodes be treated?
- Authors: Thompson SR, Lee ISY, Carroll S, Bishop S, Douglas P, Lam F, Brown C, Williams J, Goldstein D
- Issue date: 2018 Sep
- Recurrent epidermoid cancer of the anus.
- Authors: Greenall MJ, Magill GB, Quan SH, DeCosse JJ
- Issue date: 1986 Apr 1