A prospective study of the treatment of high-grade histology non-Hodgkin's lymphoma involving the gastrointestinal tract.
AuthorsSteward, William P
Scarffe, J Howard
Deakin, David P
Todd, Ian D
AffiliationCRC Department of Medical Oncology and Departments of Histopathology and Radiotherapy, Christie Hospital, Wilmslow Road, Manchester, UK
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThirty-six patients presenting with stage II-IV primary gastrointestinal non-Hodgkin's lymphoma of high-grade pathology were treated in a prospective study from 1975 to 1983 with combined modality therapy. A complete response rate of 56% was obtained and the overall 5-yr survival rate was 36%. The 5-yr relapse-free survival rate of the complete remitters was 79%. Multivariate analysis revealed that the remission achieved (P less than 0.001) and the completeness of primary surgery (P = 0.018) would reliably predict the duration of overall survival. The finding of diffuse histiocytic histology (Rappaport) predicted longer relapse-free survival. The majority of deaths were related to intra-abdominal complications and not to disseminated lymphoma. Gastrointestinal tract non-Hodgkin's lymphoma of high-grade pathology of all stages is curable with a combination of chemotherapy and radiotherapy following surgery to remove as much macroscopic disease as is possible.
CitationA prospective study of the treatment of high-grade histology non-Hodgkin's lymphoma involving the gastrointestinal tract. 1985, 21 (10):1195-200 Eur J Cancer Clin Oncol
JournalEuropean Journal of Cancer & Clinical Oncology
- Combined modality therapy of advanced non-Hodgkin's lymphoma: an analysis of remission duration and survival in 95 patients.
- Authors: Sullivan KM, Neiman PE, Kadin ME, Dahlberg S, Farewell VT, Rudolph RH, Bagley CM Jr, Appelbaum FR, Thomas ED
- Issue date: 1983 Jul
- [Combined-modality therapy for 150 cases of early-stage Hodgkin's lymphoma].
- Authors: Niu Y, Shi YK, He XH, Feng FY, Zhou LQ, Gu DZ
- Issue date: 2008 Aug
- Primary gastrointestinal non-Hodgkin's lymphoma: treatment outcome.
- Authors: Al-Shemmari SH, Sajnani KP, Ameen RM, Ragheb AM
- Issue date: 2003 Sep
- Comparison of adjuvant radiotherapy and chemoradiotherapy following surgery in stage IE and IIE primary gastrointestinal tract non-Hodgkin's lymphoma.
- Authors: Chung HC, Roh JK, Koh EH, Kim JH, Hahn JS, Park IS, Min JS, Lee KS, Suh CO, Loh JJ
- Issue date: 1990 Jun
- Combined modality treatment for primary gastrointestinal non-Hodgkin's lymphoma: the Milan Cancer Institute experience.
- Authors: Tondini C, Giardini R, Bozzetti F, Valagussa P, Santoro A, Bertulli R, Balzarotti M, Rocca A, Lombardi F, Ferreri AJ
- Issue date: 1993 Dec