A prospective study of the treatment of high-grade histology non-Hodgkin's lymphoma involving the gastrointestinal tract.
AuthorsSteward, William P
Scarffe, J Howard
Deakin, David P
Todd, Ian D
AffiliationCRC Department of Medical Oncology and Departments of Histopathology and Radiotherapy, Christie Hospital, Wilmslow Road, Manchester, UK
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThirty-six patients presenting with stage II-IV primary gastrointestinal non-Hodgkin's lymphoma of high-grade pathology were treated in a prospective study from 1975 to 1983 with combined modality therapy. A complete response rate of 56% was obtained and the overall 5-yr survival rate was 36%. The 5-yr relapse-free survival rate of the complete remitters was 79%. Multivariate analysis revealed that the remission achieved (P less than 0.001) and the completeness of primary surgery (P = 0.018) would reliably predict the duration of overall survival. The finding of diffuse histiocytic histology (Rappaport) predicted longer relapse-free survival. The majority of deaths were related to intra-abdominal complications and not to disseminated lymphoma. Gastrointestinal tract non-Hodgkin's lymphoma of high-grade pathology of all stages is curable with a combination of chemotherapy and radiotherapy following surgery to remove as much macroscopic disease as is possible.
CitationA prospective study of the treatment of high-grade histology non-Hodgkin's lymphoma involving the gastrointestinal tract. 1985, 21 (10):1195-200 Eur J Cancer Clin Oncol
JournalEuropean Journal of Cancer & Clinical Oncology
- Treatment of relapsed aggressive lymphomas: regimens with and without high-dose therapy and stem cell rescue.
- Authors: Hagemeister FB
- Issue date: 2002 May
- [Treatment option and outcome for patients with primary non-Hodgkin's lymphoma of the nasal cavity].
- Authors: Yao B, Li YX, Song YW, Jin J, Liu YP, Wang WH, Wang SL, Sun YT, Yu ZH, Liu XF
- Issue date: 2006 Jan
- Results of radiotherapy and combined modality treatment in early stage high grade non-Hodgkin's lymphoma.
- Authors: Frank C, Flentje M, Goldschmidt H, Hunstein W, Wannenmacher M
- Issue date: 1994 Jul
- Long-term follow-up of a prospective study of combined modality therapy for stage I-II indolent non-Hodgkin's lymphoma.
- Authors: Seymour JF, Pro B, Fuller LM, Manning JT, Hagemeister FB, Romaguera J, Rodriguez MA, Ha CS, Smith TL, Ayala A, Hess M, Cox JD, Cabanillas F, McLaughlin P
- Issue date: 2003 Jun 1
- Treatment results of tonsillar lymphoma: a 10-year experience.
- Authors: Mohammadianpanah M, Omidvai S, Mosalei A, Ahmadloo N
- Issue date: 2005 Apr