Expression of MHC class II products on human colorectal cancer. An immunohistological and flow cytometric study.
AffiliationDepartment of Immunology, Paterson Laboratories, Christie Hospital and Holt Radium Institute, Manchester M20 9BX, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe MHC status of epithelial cells from 32 primary colorectal neoplasms, villous adenomata (VA; 2) and inflammatory bowel disease (IBD; 3) were evaluated using a panel of monoclonal antibodies (mAbs). Class I antigens and beta 2 microglobulin (beta 2m) were expressed on all normal, benign, inflammatory and malignant epithelia with the exception of two carcinomas. A more complex pattern of reactivity was encountered with anti-class II mAbs. Some expression was detected on normal glandular and luminal epithelium, particularly adjacent to the tumour. Inflammatory tissues, VA and 23/32 carcinomas were also antigen-positive, the proportion of stained epithelial cells ranging from 5% to 90%. Expression was usually non-coordinate, DR being the predominant specificity followed by DP and DQ, which is suggestive of independent D region gene regulation. The hypothesis that class II expression is induced in vivo by locally generated IFN gamma was not confirmed by in vitro treatment with this agent of epithelial colorectal carcinoma-derived cell lines. These provisional data suggest that although IFN gamma may be a necessary stimulus for class II expression it is insufficient and that other factors also influence the responsiveness of tumour cells in this respect.
CitationExpression of MHC class II products on human colorectal cancer. An immunohistological and flow cytometric study.1986, 13 (2-3):201-9 J Immunogenet
JournalJournal of Immunogenetics
- Expression of HLA-D sub-region products on human colorectal carcinoma.
- Authors: Ghosh AK, Moore M, Street AJ, Howat JM, Schofield PF
- Issue date: 1986 Oct 15
- Differential expression of HLA-DR, HLA-DP, HLA-DQ and associated invariant chain (Ii) in normal colorectal mucosa, adenoma and carcinoma.
- Authors: Degener T, Momburg F, Möller P
- Issue date: 1988
- Non-co-ordinate expression of HLA-DR antigens and invariant chain.
- Authors: Momburg F, Möller P
- Issue date: 1988 Mar
- Expression of MHC class I and class II antigens in colonic carcinomas.
- Authors: Norazmi M, Hohmann AW, Skinner JM, Bradley J
- Issue date: 1989 Oct
- Distribution of histocompatibility and leucocyte differentiation antigens in normal human colon and in benign and malignant colonic neoplasms.
- Authors: Csiba A, Whitwell HL, Moore M
- Issue date: 1984 Nov