Studies of the enhancement of natural cytotoxicity by the streptococcal immunopotentiator OK432.
AffiliationDepartment of Immunology, Paterson Laboratories, Christie Hospital and Holt Radium Institute, Manchester M20 9BX, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe immunopotentiator OK432, a product of Streptococcus pyogenes A3, enhanced the natural killer (NK) activity of unseparated human peripheral blood mononuclear cells (PBM) and separated, nonadherent lymphocytes (PBL) containing less than 0.5% contamination with monocytes. Following treatment with OK432, both unseparated and non-adherent cell preparations produced interferon (IFN) alpha and gamma and low levels of interleukin-2 (IL-2). However, in the presence of neutralising amounts of anti-IFN alpha and gamma antisera, the NK enhancing effect of OK432 was not fully inhibited. Filtered supernatants derived from OK432-treated PBM or PBL also enhanced the NK activity of fresh PBM. In this instance, in most experiments, the NK enhancing effect of supernatants (from non-adherent cells) was fully inhibited by anti-IFN antisera. However, in some experiments, enhancement of NK activity by anti-IFN antisera-treated supernatants was still found. It is suggested that the presence of IL-2 or, possibly, other as yet uncharacterized factors secreted following OK432 treatment, account for this residual enhancement of NK activity.
CitationStudies of the enhancement of natural cytotoxicity by the streptococcal immunopotentiator OK432. 1986, 8 (1):83-92 Int J Immunopharmacol
JournalInternational Journal of Immunopharmacology
- Role of interleukin-2 and interferon-gamma in induction of activated natural killer cells from mice primed in vivo and subsequently challenged in vitro with the streptococcal preparation OK432.
- Authors: Yamaue H, Tanimura H, Iwahashi M, Tani M, Tsunoda T, Tabuse K, Kuribayashi K, Saito K
- Issue date: 1989
- Augmentation of autologous tumor killing activity of tumor-associated large granular lymphocytes by the streptococcal preparation OK432.
- Authors: Uchida A
- Issue date: 1986 Feb
- [Role of interleukin 2 and interferon gamma in induction of activated natural killer cells by the streptococcal preparation OK432].
- Authors: Yamaue H, Tanimura H, Iwahashi M, Tani M, Tsunoda T, Tabuse K
- Issue date: 1989 Dec 20
- In vitro potentiation of human natural killer cell activity by a streptococcal preparation, OK-432: interferon and interleukin-2 participation in the stimulation with OK-432.
- Authors: Wakasugi H, Kasahara T, Minato N, Hamuro J, Miyata M, Morioka Y
- Issue date: 1982 Oct
- Mechanism of NK activation by OK-432 (Streptococcus pyogenes). I. Spontaneous release of NKCF and augmentation of NKCF production following stimulation with NK target cells.
- Authors: Bonavida B, Katz J, Hoshino T
- Issue date: 1986 Oct 1