Trøst Sørensen, E
Walsh-Arrand, Jane E
Arrand, John R
AffiliationPaterson Laboratories, Christie Hospital and Holt Radium Institute, Manchester M20 9BX, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractWe have demonstrated the presence of an Epstein-Barr virus (EBV)-coded thymidine kinase (TK) by producing biochemically transformed, TK-positive mammalian cell lines using either microinjection of whole EBV virions or calcium phosphate-mediated transfection of the SalI-B restriction endonuclease fragment of EBV DNA. Analysis of these cell lines showed that: (i) EBV DNA was present in the cell lines, (ii) sequences from the SalI-B restriction endonuclease fragment of EBV were expressed, (iii) a TK activity was present and (iv) a protein with antigenic cross-reactivity with the herpes simplex virus (HSV) TK was produced. The identity of the EBV TK gene was determined by demonstrating that a recombinant plasmid, which expressed the protein product of the BXLF1 open reading frame as a fusion protein, could complement TK- strains of E. coli. A comparison of the predicted amino acid sequences of the TK proteins of EBV and HSV-1 revealed significant regions of homology.
CitationIdentification of an Epstein-Barr virus-coded thymidine kinase. 1986, 5 (8):1959-66 EMBO J
JournalThe EMBO Journal
- Efficient gene delivery into epstein-barr virus (EBV)-transformed human B cells mediated by replication-defective herpes simplex virus-1 (HSV-1): A gene therapy model for EBV-related B cell malignancy.
- Authors: Suzuki T, Piche A, Kasono K, Xiang J, Gomez-Navarro J, Moriuchi S, Krisky DM, Oligino T, Glorioso JC, Curiel TJ, Curiel DT
- Issue date: 1998 Nov 27
- Hybrid plasmids containing an active thymidine kinase gene of Herpes simplex virus 1.
- Authors: Wilkie NM, Clements JB, Boll W, Mantei N, Lonsdale D, Weissmann C
- Issue date: 1979 Oct 25
- Nucleotide sequence of the marmoset herpesvirus thymidine kinase gene and predicted amino acid sequence of thymidine kinase polypeptide.
- Authors: Otsuka H, Kit S
- Issue date: 1984 Jun
- DNA of Epstein-Barr virus. IV. Linkage map of restriction enzyme fragments of the B95-8 and W91 strains of Epstein-Barr Virus.
- Authors: Given D, Kieff E
- Issue date: 1978 Nov
- Expression and characterization of the thymidine kinase gene of African swine fever virus.
- Authors: Martin Hernandez AM, Tabares E
- Issue date: 1991 Feb