Chromosome aberration induction in human diploid fibroblast and epithelial cells.
AffiliationPaterson Laboratories, Christie Hospital, Holt Radium Institute, Manchester, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe relative sensitivity of cultured human fibroblasts and epithelial cells to radiation-induced chromosomal aberrations was investigated. Lung fibroblast and kidney epithelial cells from the same fetus were compared, as were skin fibroblasts and epithelial keratinocytes from the same foreskin sample. After exposure of proliferating fetal cells to 1.5 Gy X-rays there was a very similar aberration yield in the fibroblasts and epithelial cells; the mean frequency between 1 and 72 h post-irradiation was 25 and 29% aberrant cells, respectively. After 1.5 Gy the corresponding values in skin fibroblasts and epithelial cells were 16.5 and 11.2%, respectively, and after 2.5 Gy, 31.3 and 30%. These observations of either little or no difference in chromosomal sensitivity between human fibroblasts and epithelial cells give added confidence that quantitative cytogenetic data obtained from cultured fibroblasts are relevant to the question of sensitivity of epithelial cells which are the predominant cell type in human cancers.
CitationChromosome aberration induction in human diploid fibroblast and epithelial cells. 1986, 1 (5):331-3 Mutagenesis
- Radiation-induced chromosomal instability in human fibroblasts: temporal effects and the influence of radiation quality.
- Authors: Kadhim MA, Marsden SJ, Wright EG
- Issue date: 1998 Feb
- Chromosome aberrations in normal human fibroblasts analyzed in G0/G1 and G2/M phases after exposure in G0 to radiation with different linear energy transfer (LET).
- Authors: Liu C, Kawata T, Furusawa Y, Zhou G, Inoue K, Fukada J, Kota R, George K, Cucinotta F, Okayasu R
- Issue date: 2013 Aug 30
- Growth and ultrastructural characterization of proliferating human keratinocytes in vitro without added extrinsic factors.
- Authors: Milo GE, Ackerman GA, Noyes I
- Issue date: 1980 Jan
- [Effect of external gamma-irradiation on the genetic apparatus of somatic cells of rat fetus].
- Authors: Nikolaevich LN, Amvros'ev AP
- Issue date: 2004 Mar-Apr
- Low doses of UVB or UVA induce chromosomal aberrations in cultured human skin cells.
- Authors: Emri G, Wenczl E, Van Erp P, Jans J, Roza L, Horkay I, Schothorst AA
- Issue date: 2000 Sep