Chromosome aberration induction in human diploid fibroblast and epithelial cells.
AffiliationPaterson Laboratories, Christie Hospital, Holt Radium Institute, Manchester, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe relative sensitivity of cultured human fibroblasts and epithelial cells to radiation-induced chromosomal aberrations was investigated. Lung fibroblast and kidney epithelial cells from the same fetus were compared, as were skin fibroblasts and epithelial keratinocytes from the same foreskin sample. After exposure of proliferating fetal cells to 1.5 Gy X-rays there was a very similar aberration yield in the fibroblasts and epithelial cells; the mean frequency between 1 and 72 h post-irradiation was 25 and 29% aberrant cells, respectively. After 1.5 Gy the corresponding values in skin fibroblasts and epithelial cells were 16.5 and 11.2%, respectively, and after 2.5 Gy, 31.3 and 30%. These observations of either little or no difference in chromosomal sensitivity between human fibroblasts and epithelial cells give added confidence that quantitative cytogenetic data obtained from cultured fibroblasts are relevant to the question of sensitivity of epithelial cells which are the predominant cell type in human cancers.
CitationChromosome aberration induction in human diploid fibroblast and epithelial cells. 1986, 1 (5):331-3 Mutagenesis
- Cell cycle arrest and aberration yield in normal human fibroblasts. I. Effects of X-rays and 195 MeV u(-1) C ions.
- Authors: Nasonova E, Füssel K, Berger S, Gudowska-Nowak E, Ritter S
- Issue date: 2004 Sep
- Radiation-induced chromosomal instability in human fibroblasts: temporal effects and the influence of radiation quality.
- Authors: Kadhim MA, Marsden SJ, Wright EG
- Issue date: 1998 Feb
- Comparative clastogenic sensitivity of respiratory tract cells to gamma rays.
- Authors: Bao S, Harwood PW, Wood BH, Chrisler WB, Groch KM, Brooks AL
- Issue date: 1997 Jul
- Relative effectiveness of HZE iron-56 particles for the induction of cytogenetic damage in vivo.
- Authors: Brooks A, Bao S, Rithidech K, Couch LA, Braby LA
- Issue date: 2001 Feb
- Induction of chromosome aberrations in human cells by charged particles.
- Authors: Wu H, Durante M, George K, Yang TC
- Issue date: 1997 Nov