Dose and time related responses of the irradiated prepubertal rat testis. II. Seminiferous epithelial function.
AffiliationDepartment of Radiobiology, Paterson Laboratories, CHristie Hospital and Holt Radium Institute
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractDose-related effects of radiation upon the seminiferous epithelium were examined in the prepubertal rat. Marked damage to the spermatogenic cell populations was produced by doses of 5 Gy and above. As a result serum levels of FSH were increased, maximum changes being observed at 2 weeks, but levels remaining high even at 36 weeks after irradiation. Serum levels of androgen binding protein (ABP) were inversely related to serum FSH. Above a threshold dose of 5 Gy, serum ABP levels were reduced to between 30-50% of control values, possibly indicating damage to the Sertoli cells. Progression in the degree of testicular failure was indicated at 36 weeks after a dose of 15 Gy by further increases in serum gonadotrophins when compared to earlier times and by the absence of spermatogenesis.
CitationDose and time related responses of the irradiated prepubertal rat testis. II. Seminiferous epithelial function. 1985, 8 (6):484-96 Int J Androl
JournalInternational Journal of Andrology
- Seminiferous epithelial function in the pubertal rat following local testicular irradiation.
- Authors: Delic JI, Hendry JH, Morris ID, Shalet SM
- Issue date: 1986 Jan
- Long-term effects of irradiation before adulthood on reproductive function in the male rhesus monkey.
- Authors: de Rooij DG, van de Kant HJ, Dol R, Wagemaker G, van Buul PP, van Duijn-Goedhart A, de Jong FH, Broerse JJ
- Issue date: 2002 Feb
- Regulatory influence of germ cells on sertoli cell function in the pre-pubertal rat after acute irradiation of the testis.
- Authors: Guitton N, Touzalin AM, Sharpe RM, Cheng CY, Pinon-Lataillade G, Méritte H, Chenal C, Jégou B
- Issue date: 2000 Dec
- Irradiation affects germ and somatic cells in prepubertal monkey testis xenografts.
- Authors: Tröndle I, Westernströer B, Wistuba J, Terwort N, Schlatt S, Neuhaus N
- Issue date: 2017 Mar 1
- The effects of a gonadotropin-releasing hormone antagonist on androgen-binding protein distribution and other parameters in the adult male rat.
- Authors: Danzo BJ
- Issue date: 1995 Sep