The competitive miscoding of O6-methylguanine and O6-ethylguanine and the possible importance of cellular deoxynucleoside 5'-triphosphate pool sizes in mutagenesis and carcinogenesis.
AffiliationPaterson Laboratories, Christie Hospital, Manchester M20 9BX UK
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractUsing initiated poly(dG,O6-RdG) and poly(dA,O6-RdG) polynucleotides as templates for DNA polymerase I in vitro the promutagenic potential of O6-MeG and O6-EtG has been confirmed, together with the possibility of minor miscoding pathways for O6-RG. These lead to the incorporation of dAMP and dGMP, which could give rise to some of the limited number of transversions that have been observed arising from the action of alkylating agents. The results are compatible with the current knowledge of oncogenes, explaining the changes in base sequence that have been observed. The competition for the miscoding of O6-RG which leads to the incorporation of dCMP in addition to the expected dTMP is also shown. The relative amounts of these two nucleotides incorporated depend upon the concentrations of the dCTP and dTTP in the assay. The mutagenic efficiency of O6-MeG is constant at approx. 0.4 over a wide range of dTTP and dCTP concentrations and only increases when the dCTP in the assay ceases to saturate the polymerizing enzyme, indicating that the DNA polymerase I plays a role in determining the mutagenic efficiency of a modified base. Although the mutagenic efficiency of both O6-MeG and O6-EtG depends upon the relative concentrations. of dTTP and dCTP in the assay, a reduction in the concentration of dCTP can be more effective at increasing the mutagenic efficiency than a corresponding increase in the concentration of dTTP. These results indicate the importance of cellular dNTP pools in determining the cellular response to agents.
CitationThe competitive miscoding of O6-methylguanine and O6-ethylguanine and the possible importance of cellular deoxynucleoside 5'-triphosphate pool sizes in mutagenesis and carcinogenesis. 1986, 866 (1):53-60 Biochim Biophys Acta
JournalBiochimica et Biophysica Acta
- DNA synthesis with methylated poly(dC-dG) templates. Evidence for a competitive nature to miscoding by O(6)-methylguanine.
- Authors: Abbott PJ, Saffhill R
- Issue date: 1979 Mar 28
- Base-pairing properties of O6-methylguanine in template DNA during in vitro DNA replication.
- Authors: Snow ET, Foote RS, Mitra S
- Issue date: 1984 Jul 10
- Error-prone bypass of O(6)-methylguanine by DNA polymerase of Pseudomonas aeruginosa phage PaP1.
- Authors: Gu S, Xiong J, Shi Y, You J, Zou Z, Liu X, Zhang H
- Issue date: 2017 Sep
- Klenow fragment-DNA interaction required for the incorporation of nucleotides opposite guanine and O6-methylguanine.
- Authors: Spratt TE
- Issue date: 1997 Oct 28
- Effect of 3' flanking neighbors on kinetics of pairing of dCTP or dTTP opposite O6-methylguanine in a defined primed oligonucleotide when Escherichia coli DNA polymerase I is used.
- Authors: Singer B, Chavez F, Goodman MF, Essigmann JM, Dosanjh MK
- Issue date: 1989 Nov