A structural basis for R- and T-banding: a scanning electron microscopy study.
AffiliationDepartment of Ultrastructure Paterson Laboratories, Christie Hospital, Manchester M20 9BX UK
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe structure of reverse (R)-banded and telomeric (T)-banded chromosomes was studied by examination of the same chromosomes first in the light microscope (LM) followed by the scanning electron microscope (SEM). This procedure demonstrated a structural basis to both the R- and T-banding techniques. A direct correlation was shown between the LM staining patterns and the structural patterns observed in the SEM. In the R-banded chromosomes the positively stained R-bands, viewed by LM, corresponded to highly fibrous three-dimensional regions in the SEM. The negatively stained R-interbands corresponded to flatter regions from which material appeared to have been extracted. These structural observations strongly support the suggestion that chromosomal material is preferentially lost from the R-interbands with aggregation of fibres in the R-bands. T-banded chromosomes showed a similar structure to the R-banded chromosomes. The positively stained T-bands located at the telomeres corresponded to regions of highly aggregated fibres. The remainder of the chromosome, corresponding to the negatively stained area, had a flattened and extracted appearance. These similarities in morphology between the T- and R-banded chromosomes support the view that T-bands result from a progressive breakdown of the R-banded chromosome structure.
CitationA structural basis for R- and T-banding: a scanning electron microscopy study. 1986, 94 (5):395-402 Chromosoma
- The structural basis for C-banding. A scanning electron microscopy study.
- Authors: Jack EM, Harrison CJ, Allen TD, Harris R
- Issue date: 1985
- The ultrastructure of R-banded chromosomes.
- Authors: Burkholder GD
- Issue date: 1981
- Light and scanning electron microscopy of the same human metaphase chromosomes.
- Authors: Harrison CJ, Jack EM, Allen TD, Harris R
- Issue date: 1985 Aug
- Studies on the chromosome by scanning electron microscope--a new trial with long-term Giemsa staining.
- Authors: Sasaki H, Takabayashi T, Ozawa N, Sasamoto K, Shintaku Y, Yajima A
- Issue date: 1988 Jul
- Scanning electron microscopy of Giemsa-stained chromosomes and surface-spread chromosomes.
- Authors: Utsumi KR
- Issue date: 1982