Prognostic factors in stage I and II high and intermediate grade non-Hodgkin's lymphoma.
AffiliationCRC Department of Medical Oncology, Christie Hospital and Holt Radium Institute, Manchester, U.K.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractBetween 1975 and 1986, the Manchester Lymphoma Group treated 127 patients with localized (Stages I/II) high and intermediate grade non-Hodgkin's lymphoma (NHL) on one of three protocols of combined involved field radiotherapy and chemotherapy. The study included patients with widespread bulky abdominal disease providing there was no apparent spread outside the abdomen and the liver was not involved with metastatic disease. The median duration of follow-up was 70 months. The complete response rate was 86% and the overall 5-year survival was 70%. The 5-year relapse-free survival of the complete responders was 80%. Cox model multivariate analysis showed that bulk disease (greater than 5 cm), low serum albumin and gut involvement were the pretreatment factors associated with shorter survival. When remission status was included in the model the attainment of a complete response was the major determinant of long-term survival but bulk disease and gut involvement were still significant adverse predictors for survival. These factors need to be assessed when analysing results of therapy in NHL and in the design of future treatment strategies.
CitationPrognostic factors in stage I and II high and intermediate grade non-Hodgkin's lymphoma. 1988, 24 (10):1617-22 Eur J Cancer Clin Oncol
JournalEuropean Journal of Cancer & Clinical Oncology
- Prognostic factors in localized aggressive non-Hodgkin's lymphoma.
- Authors: Alici S, Bavbek SE, Kaytan E, Eralp Y, Onat H
- Issue date: 2003 Feb
- Tumor bulk as a prognostic factor for the management of localized aggressive non-Hodgkin's lymphoma: a survey of the Japan Lymphoma Radiation Therapy Group.
- Authors: Oguchi M, Ikeda H, Isobe K, Hirota S, Hasegawa M, Nakamura K, Sasai K, Hayabuchi N
- Issue date: 2000 Aug 1
- Combined modality treatment for primary gastrointestinal non-Hodgkin's lymphoma: the Milan Cancer Institute experience.
- Authors: Tondini C, Giardini R, Bozzetti F, Valagussa P, Santoro A, Bertulli R, Balzarotti M, Rocca A, Lombardi F, Ferreri AJ
- Issue date: 1993 Dec
- Results of radiotherapy and combined modality treatment in early stage high grade non-Hodgkin's lymphoma.
- Authors: Frank C, Flentje M, Goldschmidt H, Hunstein W, Wannenmacher M
- Issue date: 1994 Jul
- Involved field radiotherapy or chemotherapy in the management of stage I nodal intermediate grade non-Hodgkin's lymphoma.
- Authors: Jeffery GM, Mead GM, Whitehouse JM, Ryall RD
- Issue date: 1991 Nov