A monoclonal antibody stains blastemal but not tubular components of Wilms' tumour.
AffiliationClinical Research Laboratories, Christie Hospital, Manchester, U.K.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe monoclonal antibody PAL-E is specific for endothelial cells in a wide variety of normal and tumour tissue. In normal kidney, PAL-E reacts exclusively with the endothelium of non-glomerular blood vessels. In Wilms' tumour, binding of PAL-E was not restricted to the endothelium; staining of blastemal cells was observed in seven out of eight cases examined. Mesenchymal and tubular components, if present in Wilms' tumour, were negative. In contrast, a monoclonal antibody to Factor VIII-related antigen (RFF-8-R-1) bound only to endothelial cells in these tumours. In fetal kidney, PAL-E binding showed a wider distribution than in adult kidney and both stromal and glomerular capillaries were stained. Tubules and non-endothelial stromal cells were negative. These results indicate that the reactivity of the monoclonal antibody, PAL-E, is not restricted to cells of endothelial origin in all tissues. The implications of these findings for the differentiation of Wilms' tumour are discussed.
CitationA monoclonal antibody stains blastemal but not tubular components of Wilms' tumour. 1988, 156 (4):319-24 J Pathol
JournalJournal of Pathology
- Blastemal cells of nephroblastomatosis complex share an onco-developmental antigen with embryonic kidney and Wilms' tumor. An immunohistochemical study on polysialic acid distribution.
- Authors: Roth J, Blaha I, Bitter-Suermann D, Heitz PU
- Issue date: 1988 Dec
- Expression and localization of HGF and met in Wilms' tumours.
- Authors: Alami J, Williams BR, Yeger H
- Issue date: 2002 Jan
- Expression of class I and II major histocompatibility complex antigens in Wilms' tumour and normal developing human kidney.
- Authors: Borthwick GM, Hughes L, Holmes CH, Davis SJ, Stirrat GM
- Issue date: 1988 Dec
- Human sarcomatous Wilms' tumor. Characterization with 5H10, a newly established monoclonal antibody.
- Authors: Ishii E, Fujimoto J, Hara S, Tanaka S, Hata J
- Issue date: 1989 Oct
- Clear cell sarcoma of the kidney. An immunohistochemical study.
- Authors: Ogawa K, Nakashima Y, Yamabe H, Hamashima Y
- Issue date: 1986 May