AffiliationDepartment of Epidemiology and Social Oncology, Christie Hospital & Holt Radium Institute, Manchester, England.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractCase records of the 157 children with soft tissue sarcoma in the Manchester Children's Tumour Registry diagnosed between 1954 and 1983 were reviewed for reference to diagnostic features of neurofibromatosis (NF). Interviews were carried out with 124 families of these children. Four children in the series were identified as having NF. All four were boys, very young at diagnosis, and had rhabdomyosarcomas of the bladder or prostate. In addition, there were indications that a further nine children may have been affected. It is suggested that NF may be more common in children with soft tissue sarcoma than previously thought and that clinicians should be alert for signs and symptoms of NF in such children and their families. Affected children may be at increased risk of developing further malignancies.
CitationNeurofibromatosis in children with soft tissue sarcoma. 1988, 5 (1):7-16 Pediatr Hematol Oncol
JournalPediatric Hematology and Oncology
- Neurofibromatosis in children with Rhabdomyosarcoma: a report from the Intergroup Rhabdomyosarcoma study IV.
- Authors: Sung L, Anderson JR, Arndt C, Raney RB, Meyer WH, Pappo AS
- Issue date: 2004 May
- [Clinical patterns of soft-tissue sarcoma in children].
- Authors: Méndez R, Arnáiz S, Montero M, Tellado M, País E, Ríos J, Vela D
- Issue date: 2001 Jan
- Association of childhood rhabdomyosarcoma with neurofibromatosis type I and birth defects.
- Authors: Yang P, Grufferman S, Khoury MJ, Schwartz AG, Kowalski J, Ruymann FB, Maurer HM
- Issue date: 1995
- Incidence of multiple primary malignancies in a cohort of adult patients with soft tissue sarcoma.
- Authors: Tateishi U, Hasegawa T, Yamamoto S, Yamaguchi U, Yokoyama R, Kawamoto H, Satake M, Arai Y
- Issue date: 2005 Aug
- Type 1 neurofibromatosis and adult extremity sarcoma. A report of two cases.
- Authors: Demiralp B, Ozdemir MT, Erler K, Basbozkurt M
- Issue date: 2007 Jun