Tamm-Horsfall protein is a marker of renal and extra-renal rhabdoid tumours.
AffiliationChristie Hospital, Manchester, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractA monoclonal antibody (MAb) to Tamm-Horsfall protein (THP) was used to stain 6 renal rhabdoid tumours (RRT) and 2 primary extra-renal rhabdoid tumours (E-RRT). One of the E-RRT was a tumour from the posterior fossa of a 3-year-old child and the other was a lump from the right side of the neck in an 18-month-old girl. Five of 6 RRT and both cases of E-RRT were positive for THP. Both cases of E-RRT also reacted with vimentin and cytokeratin MAbs. On electron microscopy, cells from both E-RRT were seen to contain concentric whorls of intermediate filaments characteristic of rhabdoid tumours. Viable tissues from one RRT and one E-RRT (the posterior fossa tumour) were available for tissue culture. Ninety-five percent of the cells growing out of both tumours were polygonal and approximately 5% of these cells were THP-positive.
CitationTamm-Horsfall protein is a marker of renal and extra-renal rhabdoid tumours. 1988, 41 (3):386-9 Int J Cancer
JournalInternational Journal of Cancer
- Study of childhood renal tumours using a monoclonal antibody to Tamm-Horsfall protein.
- Authors: Kumar S, Marsden HB, Jasani B, Kumar P
- Issue date: 1987 Dec
- Distinctive patterns of renal neoplasms containing Tamm-Horsfall protein.
- Authors: Howie AJ, Smithson N, Raafat F
- Issue date: 1993
- Tamm-Horsfall protein in human renal tumours.
- Authors: Costello CB, Jasani B, Kumar S
- Issue date: 1991 Nov-Dec
- [Benign epithelial cells and Tamm-Horsfall protein in lymph nodes from nephrectomy specimens with nephroblastoma: a diagnostic pitfall].
- Authors: Boman F, Boccon-Gibod L
- Issue date: 2004 Dec
- Serum antibody against Tamm-Horsfall protein in patients with renal cell carcinoma.
- Authors: Fowler JE Jr, Frierson HF Jr, Mills SE, Mariano M
- Issue date: 1987 Jun 1