Prognostic factors for survival in stage IIIB and IV Hodgkin's disease: a multivariate analysis comparing two specialist treatment centres.
AffiliationCancer Research Campaign, Christie Hospital, Manchester, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractA multivariate analysis of prognostic factors was carried out on 301 patients with clinical or pathological stage III/IV Hodgkin's disease treated using the same combination chemotherapy (MVPP) at two centres (Christie Hospital, Manchester, 151 patients, St. Bartholomew's Hospital, London, 150 patients). There were no significant difference in CR or relapse free and overall survival at 5 and 10 years between the two groups. Cox analysis of the Christie data alone produced four significant factors for survival - age, sex, lymphocyte count and stage. The latter three factors showed the same trend for the St. Bartholomew's Hospital patients but failed to reach statistical significance. Analysis of the combined data showed all four factors to be of importance in predicting survival. Three different prognostic groups were identified which separated patients with good, intermediate or poor prognosis in both centres. The good prognostic group included patients aged less than 45 years, lymphocyte count greater than 0.75 x 10(9) l-1 and female patients with stage IIIB disease (5 year survival 85%). The rest were of poorer prognosis with male stage IV patients faring particularly badly (5 year survival 40%). Problems associated with the use of multivariate analysis to produce useful prognostic groupings in patients from different centres, are discussed.
CitationPrognostic factors for survival in stage IIIB and IV Hodgkin's disease: a multivariate analysis comparing two specialist treatment centres. 1988, 58 (4):487-92 Br J Cancer
JournalBritish Journal of Cancer
- An analysis of prognostic factors in stage III and IV Hodgkin's disease treated at a single centre with MVPP.
- Authors: Ranson MR, Radford JA, Swindell R, Deakin DP, Wilkinson PM, Harris M, Johnson RJ, Crowther D
- Issue date: 1991 Jun
- Mechlorethamine, vinblastine, procarbazine and prednisolone (MVPP) for advanced Hodgkin's disease.
- Authors: Harding MJ, McNulty LJ, Paul J, Lee F, Brown A, Soukop M
- Issue date: 1991
- The treatment of stage IIIA Hodgkin's disease.
- Authors: Lister TA, Dorreen MS, Faux M, Jones AE, Wrigley PF
- Issue date: 1983 Dec
- Patterns of survival in patients with advanced Hodgkin's disease (HD) treated in a single centre over 20 years.
- Authors: Oza AM, Ganesan TS, Dorreen M, Johnson PW, Waxman J, Gregory W, Lim J, Wright J, Dadiotis L, Barbounis V
- Issue date: 1992 Mar
- A randomized study in stage IIIB and IV Hodgkin's disease comparing eight courses of MOPP versus an alteration of MOPP with ABVD: a European Organization for Research and Treatment of Cancer Lymphoma Cooperative Group and Groupe Pierre-et-Marie-Curie controlled clinical trial.
- Authors: Somers R, Carde P, Henry-Amar M, Tarayre M, Thomas J, Hagenbeek A, Monconduit M, de Pauw BE, Breed WP, Verdonck L
- Issue date: 1994 Feb