'Like a sieve': an exploratory study on cognitive impairments in patients with multiple myeloma.
AffiliationSchool of Nursing, Midwifery & Social Work, University of Manchester, Manchester, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe aim of this study was to obtain a more in-depth understanding of cognitive impairments and concerns as described by patients with multiple myeloma and the strategies used to cope with them. Semi-structured qualitative interviews were undertaken with 15 multiple myeloma patients of differing age ranges and at various stages of their disease. Various cognitive impairments, such as problems with short-term memory, poor recall and lack of concentration were observed and/or expressed in at least 10 out of 15 patients, all of them long(er)-term survivors. In some patients cognitive impairments significantly interfered with their personal and professional lives, and for some patients these were described as permanent. The patients used various coping strategies, from denial, taking notes, writing diaries, reading simpler texts, using talking books and videos, to using systems for counting medication to cope with the results of their cognitive impairment. Our findings differ from much of the contemporary literature which states that if cognitive impairments in cancer patients occur, they are mostly mild and transient. More proactive supportive care is needed to help patients with multiple myeloma to cope with poorer cognitive functioning.
Citation'Like a sieve': an exploratory study on cognitive impairments in patients with multiple myeloma. 2010, 19 (6):721-8 Eur J Cancer Care
JournalEuropean Journal of Cancer Care
- [Neuropsychological impairment in the early Alzheimer's disease].
- Authors: Traykov L, Rigaud AS, Cesaro P, Boller F
- Issue date: 2007 May-Jun
- [Interest of a new instrument to assess cognition in schizophrenia: The Brief Assessment of Cognition in Schizophrenia (BACS)].
- Authors: Bralet MC, Navarre M, Eskenazi AM, Lucas-Ross M, Falissard B
- Issue date: 2008 Dec
- Cognitive, mood and quality of life impairments in a select population of ARDS survivors.
- Authors: Mikkelsen ME, Shull WH, Biester RC, Taichman DB, Lynch S, Demissie E, Hansen-Flaschen J, Christie JD
- Issue date: 2009 Jan
- A review on cognitive impairments in depressive and anxiety disorders with a focus on young adults.
- Authors: Castaneda AE, Tuulio-Henriksson A, Marttunen M, Suvisaari J, Lönnqvist J
- Issue date: 2008 Feb
- Cognitive deficits in heart failure: Re-cognition of vulnerability as a strange new world.
- Authors: Sloan RS, Pressler SJ
- Issue date: 2009 May-Jun