Gene function prediction using semantic similarity clustering and enrichment analysis in the malaria parasite Plasmodium falciparum.
AffiliationInstitute of Molecular and Cellular Biology, University of Leeds, Leeds, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractMOTIVATION: Functional genomics data provides a rich source of information that can be used in the annotation of the thousands of genes of unknown function found in most sequenced genomes. However, previous gene function prediction programs are mostly produced for relatively well-annotated organisms that often have a large amount of functional genomics data. Here, we present a novel method for predicting gene function that uses clustering of genes by semantic similarity, a naïve Bayes classifier and 'enrichment analysis' to predict gene function for a genome that is less well annotated but does has a severe effect on human health, that of the malaria parasite Plasmodium falciparum. RESULTS: Predictions for the molecular function, biological process and cellular component of P.falciparum genes were created from eight different datasets with a combined prediction also being produced. The high-confidence predictions produced by the combined prediction were compared to those produced by a simple K-nearest neighbour classifier approach and were shown to improve accuracy and coverage. Finally, two case studies are described, which investigate two biological processes in more detail, that of translation initiation and invasion of the host cell. AVAILABILITY: Predictions produced are available at http://www.bioinformatics.leeds.ac.uk/∼bio5pmrt/PAGODA.
CitationGene function prediction using semantic similarity clustering and enrichment analysis in the malaria parasite Plasmodium falciparum. 2010, 26 (19):2431-7 Bioinformatics
- PlasmoPredict: a gene function prediction website for Plasmodium falciparum.
- Authors: Tedder PM, Bradford JR, McConkey GA, Bulpitt AJ, Westhead DR
- Issue date: 2010 Mar
- Profiling the malaria genome: a gene survey of three species of malaria parasite with comparison to other apicomplexan species.
- Authors: Carlton JM, Muller R, Yowell CA, Fluegge MR, Sturrock KA, Pritt JR, Vargas-Serrato E, Galinski MR, Barnwell JW, Mulder N, Kanapin A, Cawley SE, Hide WA, Dame JB
- Issue date: 2001 Dec
- PlasmoDraft: a database of Plasmodium falciparum gene function predictions based on postgenomic data.
- Authors: Bréhélin L, Dufayard JF, Gascuel O
- Issue date: 2008 Oct 16
- Functional genomics, new tools in malaria research.
- Authors: Di Girolamo F, Raggi C, Bultrini E, Lanfrancotti A, Silvestrini F, Sargiacomo M, Birago C, Pizzi E, Alano P, Ponzi M
- Issue date: 2005
- Comparative genomics in Plasmodium: a tool for the identification of genes and functional analysis.
- Authors: Thompson J, Janse CJ, Waters AP
- Issue date: 2001 Dec