Expression of O6-Alkylguanine-DNA Alkyltransferase in Normal and Malignant Bladder Tissue of Egyptian Patients.
AffiliationCancer Research UK Carcinogenesis Group, Paterson Institute for Cancer Research, The University of Manchester, Manchester M20 4BX, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractBladder tumour tissues and corresponding uninvolved mucosa (normal tissue) of Egyptian bladder cancer patients were assessed for O(6)-alkylguanine-DNA-alkyltransferase (MGMT) activity by functional assay of tissue extracts (36 paired samples), and distribution by immunofluorescence (IF) microscopy of fixed material (24 paired samples). MGMT varied widely from 42-253 fmoles/mg protein and from 3.2-40 fmoles/μg DNA in normal and 58-468 fmoles/mg protein and 2.5-49.5 fmoles/mg protein, in the tumour tissues; only one tumour had undetectable activity. Pairwise comparison of MGMT activity in tumour and adjacent normal tissue showed no significant difference based on DNA content but was 1.75-fold higher in tumour (P < .01) based on protein. There was no effect of gender or bilharzia infection status. IF showed that in tumours, both the mean percentage of positive nuclei (57.3 ± 20.3%) and mean integrated IF (5.47 ± 3.66) were significantly higher than those in uninvolved tissues (42.8 ± 13.5% P = .04) and (1.89 ± 1.42; P < .01), respectively. These observations suggest that, overall, MGMT levels are increased during human bladder carcinogenesis and that MGMT downregulation is not a common feature of bladder cancers. Based on this, bladder cancers would be expected to be relatively resistant to chemotherapy which involved O(6)-guanine alkylating antitumour agents.
CitationExpression of O6-Alkylguanine-DNA Alkyltransferase in Normal and Malignant Bladder Tissue of Egyptian Patients. 2010, 2010:840230 J Nucleic Acids
JournalJournal of Nucleic Acids
- O6-alkylguanine-DNA alkyltransferase activity in schistosomiasis-associated human bladder cancer.
- Authors: Badawi AF, Cooper DP, Mostafa MH, Aboul-Azm T, Barnard R, Margison GP, O'Connor PJ
- Issue date: 1994
- Heterogeneity of O(6)-alkylguanine-DNA alkyltransferase activity in colorectal cancer: implications for treatment.
- Authors: Lees NP, Harrison KL, Hill E, Hall CN, Povey AC, Margison GP
- Issue date: 2002
- Heterogeneity of O6-alkylguanine DNA-alkyltransferase expression in human breast tumours.
- Authors: Clemons MJ, Bibby MC, El Teraifi H, Forster G, Kelly J, Banerjee S, Cadman B, Ryder WD, Howell A, Margison GP
- Issue date: 2002 Jun 5
- Human colorectal mucosal O6-alkylguanine DNA-alkyltransferase activity and DNA-N7-methylguanine levels in colorectal adenoma cases and matched referents.
- Authors: Lees NP, Harrison KL, Hall CN, Margison GP, Povey AC
- Issue date: 2007 Mar
- Determinants of O6-alkylguanine-DNA alkyltransferase activity in human colon cancer.
- Authors: Gerson SL, Allay E, Vitantonio K, Dumenco LL
- Issue date: 1995 May