SUMOylation of the GTPase Rac1 is required for optimal cell migration.
Tatham, M H
Jones, R C
Jaffray, E G
Edmondson, R D
Hay, R T
AffiliationCell Signalling Group, Cancer Research UK Paterson Institute for Cancer Research, The University of Manchester, Manchester, M20 4BX, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe Rho-like GTPase, Rac1, induces cytoskeletal rearrangements required for cell migration. Rac activation is regulated through a number of mechanisms, including control of nucleotide exchange and hydrolysis, regulation of subcellular localization or modulation of protein-expression levels. Here, we identify that the small ubiquitin-like modifier (SUMO) E3-ligase, PIAS3, interacts with Rac1 and is required for increased Rac activation and optimal cell migration in response to hepatocyte growth factor (HGF) signalling. We demonstrate that Rac1 can be conjugated to SUMO-1 in response to hepatocyte growth factor treatment and that SUMOylation is enhanced by PIAS3. Furthermore, we identify non-consensus sites within the polybasic region of Rac1 as the main location for SUMO conjugation. We demonstrate that PIAS3-mediated SUMOylation of Rac1 controls the levels of Rac1-GTP and the ability of Rac1 to stimulate lamellipodia, cell migration and invasion. The finding that a Ras superfamily member can be SUMOylated provides an insight into the regulation of these critical mediators of cell behaviour. Our data reveal a role for SUMO in the regulation of cell migration and invasion.
CitationSUMOylation of the GTPase Rac1 is required for optimal cell migration. 2010, 12 (11):1078-85 Nat Cell Biol
JournalNature Cell Biology
- Protein inhibitor of activated STAT3 (PIAS3) protein promotes SUMOylation and nuclear sequestration of the intracellular domain of ErbB4 protein.
- Authors: Sundvall M, Korhonen A, Vaparanta K, Anckar J, Halkilahti K, Salah Z, Aqeilan RI, Palvimo JJ, Sistonen L, Elenius K
- Issue date: 2012 Jun 29
- Adenovirus E4-ORF3 Targets PIAS3 and Together with E1B-55K Remodels SUMO Interactions in the Nucleus and at Virus Genome Replication Domains.
- Authors: Higginbotham JM, O'Shea CC
- Issue date: 2015 Oct
- Protein Inhibitor of Activated STAT3 Regulates Migration, Invasion, and Activation of Fibroblast-like Synoviocytes in Rheumatoid Arthritis.
- Authors: Lao M, Shi M, Zou Y, Huang M, Ye Y, Qiu Q, Xiao Y, Zeng S, Liang L, Yang X, Xu H
- Issue date: 2016 Jan 15
- Sumoylation of the estrogen receptor alpha hinge region regulates its transcriptional activity.
- Authors: Sentis S, Le Romancer M, Bianchin C, Rostan MC, Corbo L
- Issue date: 2005 Nov
- SUMO Modification Reverses Inhibitory Effects of Smad Nuclear Interacting Protein-1 in TGF-β Responses.
- Authors: Liu S, Long J, Yuan B, Zheng M, Xiao M, Xu J, Lin X, Feng XH
- Issue date: 2016 Nov 18