The dynamics of tumor cords in an irradiated mouse mammary carcinoma with a large hypoxic cell component.
AuthorsMoore, James V
AffiliationPaterson Institute for Cancer Research, Christie Hospital and Holt Radium Institute, Manchester, England.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe tumor cord model represents a histologically based framework for interpretation of radiobiological phenomena, particularly the resistance to radiation conferred by absence of oxygen. For the mammary carcinoma T50/80 grown in B6D2F1 male mice, average oxygenation was poor, based on tumor growth delay after irradiation. There was no improvement in radiobiological oxygenation for several days after a high dose of radiation. This was consistent with events in the cords of the tumor, where although up to 20% of all cells became pyknotic by 8 hr, the cords did not shrink for at least 2 days. The cellular kinetics of populations of intact and dead cells, adjacent to and remote from the capillaries of the cords, were examined for up to 60 hr after irradiation and it was found that: (i) before treatment, average LI (adjacent) was 13% and LI (remote) was 2%, (ii) after irradiation, cells expressed pyknosis after passing through the S phase of the cell cycle, so that (iii) at early intervals there was a larger proportional rise in pyknotic cells in the adjacent than the remote zone. However, (iv) at later intervals there was always a higher proportion of dead cells in the remote zone.
CitationThe dynamics of tumor cords in an irradiated mouse mammary carcinoma with a large hypoxic cell component. 1988, 79 (2):236-43 Jpn J Cancer Res
JournalJapanese Journal of Cancer Research
- Mechanisms underlying reduced growth rate in C3HBA mammary adenocarcinomas recurring after single doses of x-rays or fast neutrons.
- Authors: Nelson JS, Carpenter RE, Durboraw D
- Issue date: 1976 Feb
- Cell population kinetics of fast- and slow-growing transplantable tumors derived from spontaneous mammary tumors of the DBA/2 Ha-DD mouse.
- Authors: Pavelic ZP, Porter CW, Allen LM, Mihich E
- Issue date: 1978 Jun
- Post-irradiation kinetics of the C3H/He mouse mammary carcinoma as regards tumor volume regrowth time and cell loss.
- Authors: Tanaka N, Tanabe C, Okumura Y, Murakami K
- Issue date: 1979 Jan
- Repair of sublethal radiation injury in hypoxic cells of a C3H mouse mammary carcinoma.
- Authors: Suit H, Urano M
- Issue date: 1969 Feb
- Radiation-induced cell cycle delay measured in two mouse tumors in vivo using bromodeoxyuridine.
- Authors: Wilson GD, Martindale CA, Soranson JA, Bourhis J, Carl UM, McNally NJ
- Issue date: 1994 Feb