DNA content and MHC class II antigen expression in malignant melanoma: clinical course.
AffiliationDepartment of Immunology, Paterson Institute for Cancer Research, Christie Hospital, Manchester.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractTo assess the clinical value of two comparatively new properties (DNA content and MHC class II antigen expression (HLA-DR, DP, DQ) of melanoma cells) which have been independently reported to reflect the outlook for patients with malignant melanoma, we investigated retrospectively 50 stage I nodular melanomas in two comparably homogeneous groups of 23 and 27 patients, the course of whose disease differed at five years. Flow cytometry and immunohistology were used on paraffin wax embedded archival material for the analysis of DNA ploidy and detection of class II antigens, respectively. A close association was found between class II antigen expression, detected by monoclonal antibody CR3/43 (antimonomorphic DR, DP, DQ) present in 23 of 50 (46%) melanomas and unfavourable clinical course (p less than 0.005, by log rank test), but no such association was found for DNA ploidy. It is suggested that immunohistology for MHC class II antigen expression may help to predict the behaviour of nodular melanomas whereas the prognostic value of DNA ploidy is more limited. The finding that class II positive cells are found predominantly in melanomas with a substantially increased risk of metastases has implications both for concepts of tumour heterogeneity and host immunity.
CitationDNA content and MHC class II antigen expression in malignant melanoma: clinical course. 1988, 41 (10):1078-84 J Clin Pathol
JournalJournal of Clinical Pathology
- Differential expression of HLA-DR, DQ, and DP antigens in primary and metastatic melanoma.
- Authors: van Vreeswijk H, Ruiter DJ, Bröcker EB, Welvaart K, Ferrone S
- Issue date: 1988 May
- Expression and function of class II antigens on gastric carcinoma cells and gastric epithelia: differential expression of DR, DQ, and DP antigens.
- Authors: Sakai K, Takiguchi M, Mori S, Kobori O, Morioka Y, Inoko H, Sekiguchi M, Kano K
- Issue date: 1987 Nov
- Differential expression of HLA-DR, HLA-DP, HLA-DQ and associated invariant chain (Ii) in normal colorectal mucosa, adenoma and carcinoma.
- Authors: Degener T, Momburg F, Möller P
- Issue date: 1988
- Nonimmune human cells can express MHC class II antigens in the absence of invariant chain--an immunohistological study on normal and chronically inflamed small intestine.
- Authors: Momburg F, Koretz K, Von Herbay A, Möller P
- Issue date: 1988 Jun
- Immunohistological evaluation of MHC class I and II antigen expression on nevi and melanoma: relation to biology of melanoma.
- Authors: D'Alessandro G, Zardawi I, Grace J, McCarthy WH, Hersey P
- Issue date: 1987 Oct