Agents which modify mono-ADP ribosylation can influence the differentiation of hemopoietic cells.
AffiliationExperimental Haematology, Paterson Institute for Cancer Research, Manchester, U.K.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractMono-ADP ribosylation is a post-transcriptional modification of proteins which can alter their biological properties. Particular substrates for this reaction are the GTP-binding proteins involved in the adenylate cyclase and phospholipase C second messenger pathways. Consequently, mono-ADP ribosylation may be an important element in intracellular signaling. Cholera toxin is a potent mono-ADP-ribosyl transferase, while benzylaminododecylguanine hydrochloride (BADGH) is an inhibitor of cholera toxin-induced ADP ribosylation. We have used these compounds to modulate the effects of inducers of differentiation in HL-60 cells. Cholera toxin, although unable to induce differentiation itself, synergized with inducers of both granulocytic and monocytic differentiation. In contrast, BADGH selectively inhibited the growth of undifferentiated cells. These effects imply regulatory roles for substrates for mono-ADP ribosylation both in the proliferation of undifferentiated cells and in the early stages of differentiation.
CitationAgents which modify mono-ADP ribosylation can influence the differentiation of hemopoietic cells. 1988, 2 (8):523-7 Leukemia
- Chemotactic peptide receptor-supported ADP-ribosylation of a pertussis toxin substrate GTP-binding protein by cholera toxin in neutrophil-type HL-60 cells.
- Authors: Iiri T, Tohkin M, Morishima N, Ohoka Y, Ui M, Katada T
- Issue date: 1989 Dec 15
- Modification of the function of pertussis toxin substrate GTP-binding protein by cholera toxin-catalyzed ADP-ribosylation.
- Authors: Iiri T, Ohoka Y, Ui M, Katada T
- Issue date: 1992 Jan 15
- K-ras transformation greatly increases the toxin-dependent ADP-ribosylation of GTP binding proteins in thyroid cells. Involvement of an inhibitor of the ADP-ribosylation reaction.
- Authors: Di Girolamo M, D'Arcangelo D, Cacciamani T, Gierschik P, Corda D
- Issue date: 1992 Aug 25
- ADP ribosylation of the specific membrane protein of C6 cells by islet-activating protein associated with modification of adenylate cyclase activity.
- Authors: Katada T, Ui M
- Issue date: 1982 Jun 25
- Rapid degradation of NAD by retinoic acid-differentiated HL-60 granulocyte membranes prevents ADP ribosylation.
- Authors: McLeish KR, Jacobs AA
- Issue date: 1993 Apr 30