Long-term haemopoietic injury in mice after repeated irradiation: precursor-cell cycling and its regulation.
AffiliationDepartment of Experimental Haematology, Paterson Institute for Cancer Research, Manchester, U.K.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe cycling rate of haemopoietic stem cells (day 9 CFU-S) and granulocyte-macrophage colony forming cells (GM-CFC) in mouse femora was, in response to reduced numbers, elevated at all times of sampling between 3 weeks and 10 months after 4 repeated doses of 4.5 Gy X-rays (3 wk between doses). The level of a stimulator of CFU-S cycling was also elevated, and this was observed in both axial and marginal regions of the marrow inside the shaft. However, the rate of production of the stimulator was low; lower than previously reported in marrow regenerating after a single dose of 4.5 Gy, indicating damage to the regulatory stromal cells. The distribution of CFU-S across the axial and marginal zones of femoral marrow was changed from that in normal mice, where higher concentrations were found near the bone surface, to a more uniform distribution.
CitationLong-term haemopoietic injury in mice after repeated irradiation: precursor-cell cycling and its regulation. 1988, 41 (3):278-84 Eur J Haematol
JournalEuropean Journal of Haematology
- Effect of low-dose irradiation on pregnant mouse haemopoiesis.
- Authors: Weinberg SR, McCarthy EG, MacVittie TJ, Baum SJ
- Issue date: 1981 May
- Effects of low dose rate irradiation on human marrow hematopoietic and microenvironmental cells: sparing effect upon survival of stromal and leukemic cells.
- Authors: Laver J, Kwon JH, Castro-Malaspina H
- Issue date: 1987 Oct
- Persistent dose-dependent increases in cycling of haemopoietic precursor cells after irradiation.
- Authors: Tejero C, Hendry JH, Testa NG
- Issue date: 1988 May
- Local regulation of haemopoietic stem cell proliferation in mice following irradiation.
- Authors: Ali AM, Wright EG, Riches AC
- Issue date: 1989 Jul
- Recovery of the proliferative and functional integrity of mouse bone marrow in long-term cultures established after whole-body irradiation at different doses and dose rates.
- Authors: Bierkens JG, Hendry JH, Testa NG
- Issue date: 1991 Feb