Interleukin-3-specific modification of cell membrane "fluidity" of haemopoietic cells.
AffiliationDepartment of Biophysics, Paterson Institute for Cancer Research, Christie Hospital and Holt Radium Institute, Manchester, United Kingdom.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe work reported here clearly demonstrates that a specific growth factor, interleukin-3 (IL-3), which acts on multipotent haemopoietic stem cells as well as on committed myeloid progenitor cells of different lineages (Schrader, 1988; Whetton and Dexter, 1986), specifically induces a modification of the physical state ("fluidity") of the cell membranes of two IL-3-responsive and apparently normal haemopoietic cell lines. Furthermore, in a derived IL-3 independent myeloid leukaemic cell line, no such physical response to IL-3 binding was observed. The rapidity of the "normal" response suggests further that it may be associated with, or even constitute per se a critical early effect elicited by IL-3 in sensitive cells, the necessity for which is abrogated in the malignant derivative.
CitationInterleukin-3-specific modification of cell membrane "fluidity" of haemopoietic cells. 1988, 1 (1):67-73 Growth Factors
- Cellular interactions between 3T3 cells and interleukin-3-dependent multipotent haemopoietic cells: a model system for stromal-cell-mediated haemopoiesis.
- Authors: Yamazaki K, Roberts RA, Spooncer E, Dexter TM, Allen TD
- Issue date: 1989 May
- IL-3 increases surface proteoglycan synthesis in haemopoietic progenitors and their adhesiveness to the heparin-binding domain of fibronectin.
- Authors: Conget P, Minguell JJ
- Issue date: 1995 Jan
- The effects of TGF beta on haemopoietic cells.
- Authors: Hampson J, Ponting IL, Cook N, Vodinelich L, Redmond S, Roberts AB, Dexter TM
- Issue date: 1989
- Membrane fluidity aspects in endocytosis; a study with the fluorescent probe trimethylamino-diphenylhexatriene in L929 cells.
- Authors: Illinger D, Poindron P, Kuhry JG
- Issue date: 1991
- Modulation of membrane fluidity in the primate (Macaca mulatta) corpus luteum: correlation with changes in gonadotropin binding.
- Authors: Danforth DR, Wells MA, Stouffer RL
- Issue date: 1985 Aug