Repair of alkylated purines in the hepatic DNA of mitochondria and nuclei in the rat.
AffiliationPaterson Institute for Cancer Research, Christie Hospital and Holt Radium Institute, Manchester, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractFurther evidence for the preferential interaction of carcinogens with mitochondrial DNA (mtDNA) has been obtained. In rats treated with high doses of N-nitrosodimethylamine (NDMA) or N-nitroso-N-butylurea (NBU), hepatic mtDNA contains 1.4 times more O6-methyl-2'-deoxyguanosine (O6-MedG) or 2.3 times more O6-butyl-2'-deoxyguanosine (O6-BudG) than does nuclear DNA (nDNA). The kinetics of removal of O6-MeG from mtDNA and nDNA are similar at both high (20 mg/kg) and low (2 mg/kg) doses of NDMA, and the removal of O6-MeG can be increased by pretreating the animals with 2-acetylaminofluorene (AAF), indicating that O6-MeG is repaired in the mitochondrion by a mechanism similar to that which functions in the nucleus. In contrast, O6-BudG is removed very slowly from mtDNA and rapidly from nDNA, an observation which is consistent with the absence of a nucleotide excision mechanism in the mitochondrion and the repair of O6-BudG, predominantly by an excision mechanism, in the nucleus of mammalian cells. A 23-kd methyltransferase (MT) protein, similar to the one found in the nucleus, has been isolated from hepatic mitochondria and is present in mitochondria from which the outer membrane has been removed. It is suggested that O6-MeG, but not O6-BuG can be repaired from mtDNA by a MT protein that is nuclear encoded and transported across the mitochondrial membrane.
CitationRepair of alkylated purines in the hepatic DNA of mitochondria and nuclei in the rat. 1988, 9 (2):285-92 Carcinogenesis
- Dosimetry of O6-methylguanine in rat DNA after low-dose, chronic exposure to N-nitrosodimethylamine (NDMA). Implications for the mechanism of NDMA hepatocarcinogenesis.
- Authors: Souliotis VL, Chhabra S, Anderson LM, Kyrtopoulos SA
- Issue date: 1995 Oct
- Evidence for the excision repair of O6-n-butyldeoxyguanosine in human cells.
- Authors: Boyle JM, Margison GP, Saffhill R
- Issue date: 1986 Dec
- Alkylation of rodent tissue DNA induced by N-nitrosobis(2-hydroxypropyl)amine.
- Authors: Kokkinakis DM
- Issue date: 1992 May
- Enzymatic removal of O6-ethylguanine from mitochondrial DNA in rat tissues exposed to N-ethyl-N-nitrosourea in vivo.
- Authors: Satoh MS, Huh N, Rajewsky MF, Kuroki T
- Issue date: 1988 May 15
- Effects of ethanol and various alcoholic beverages on the formation of O6-methyldeoxyguanosine from concurrently administered N-nitrosomethylbenzylamine in rats: a dose-response study.
- Authors: Yamada Y, Weller RO, Kleihues P, Ludeke BI
- Issue date: 1992 Jul