Alpha-2-interferon/melphalan/prednisone in previously untreated patients with multiple myeloma: a phase I-II trial.
AuthorsCooper, M R
Case, D C
Scarffe, J Howard
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractAlpha-2-interferon (IFN) has demonstrable activity in advanced, relapsing, or refractory multiple myeloma. Because of the in vitro synergism between the IFNs and cytotoxic agents, we conducted a trial of 30 previously untreated patients with multiple myeloma utilizing various doses of alpha-2-IFN in combination with standard oral doses of melphalan and prednisone. The combination was well-tolerated without unusual or unexpected toxic effects. The limiting toxicity included dose-related myelosuppression, and alpha-2-IFN induced flu-like symptoms and fatigue. Response was seen in at least as many patients as would be expected with melphalan and prednisone alone. The maximal tolerated dose for a phase II-III trial was 5.0 X 10(6) IU/m2 of alpha-2-IFN in combination with standard doses of melphalan and prednisone. Future trials should utilize this dose of alpha-2-IFN with dose de-escalation according to tolerance.
CitationAlpha-2-interferon/melphalan/prednisone in previously untreated patients with multiple myeloma: a phase I-II trial. 1986, 70 (4):473-6 Cancer Treat Rep
JournalCancer Treatment Reports
- Phase II study of rDNA alpha-2 interferon (INTRON A) in patients with multiple myeloma utilizing an escalating induction phase.
- Authors: Case DC Jr, Sonneborn HL, Paul SD, Hiebel J, Boyd MA, Shepp MA, Dorsk BM, Bonnem E
- Issue date: 1986 Nov
- The addition of interferon or high dose cyclophosphamide to standard chemotherapy in the treatment of patients with multiple myeloma: phase III Eastern Cooperative Oncology Group Clinical Trial EST 9486.
- Authors: Oken MM, Leong T, Lenhard RE Jr, Greipp PR, Kay NE, Van Ness B, Keimowitz RM, Kyle RA
- Issue date: 1999 Sep 15
- Efficacy of melphalan and prednisone plus thalidomide in patients older than 75 years with newly diagnosed multiple myeloma: IFM 01/01 trial.
- Authors: Hulin C, Facon T, Rodon P, Pegourie B, Benboubker L, Doyen C, Dib M, Guillerm G, Salles B, Eschard JP, Lenain P, Casassus P, Azaïs I, Decaux O, Garderet L, Mathiot C, Fontan J, Lafon I, Virion JM, Moreau P
- Issue date: 2009 Aug 1
- Phase I/II trial assessing bortezomib and melphalan combination therapy for the treatment of patients with relapsed or refractory multiple myeloma.
- Authors: Berenson JR, Yang HH, Sadler K, Jarutirasarn SG, Vescio RA, Mapes R, Purner M, Lee SP, Wilson J, Morrison B, Adams J, Schenkein D, Swift R
- Issue date: 2006 Feb 20
- Melphalan, prednisone, and lenalidomide treatment for newly diagnosed myeloma: a report from the GIMEMA--Italian Multiple Myeloma Network.
- Authors: Palumbo A, Falco P, Corradini P, Falcone A, Di Raimondo F, Giuliani N, Crippa C, Ciccone G, Omedè P, Ambrosini MT, Gay F, Bringhen S, Musto P, Foà R, Knight R, Zeldis JB, Boccadoro M, Petrucci MT, GIMEMA--Italian Multiple Myeloma Network.
- Issue date: 2007 Oct 1