AbstractShort stature may complicate the treatment during childhood of brain tumours and, to a lesser extent, ALL. A number of factors may be responsible, including spinal irradiation, malnutrition, recurrent tumour, chemotherapy, precocious puberty and radiation-induced GH deficiency. GH is always the first pituitary hormone to be affected by radiation damage to the hypothalamic-pituitary axis but larger radiation doses may result in panhypopituitarism. Some children retain normal GH responses to certain provocative stimuli, although physiological GH secretion is reduced. Nonetheless, in children suspected of radiation-induced GH deficiency, pharmacological tests of GH secretion remain useful, the ITT being the test of choice because of the marked radiation sensitivity of the GH response to hypoglycaemia. The hypothalamus is more radiosensitive than the pituitary. In many patients with radiation-induced GH deficiency, the damage appears to be at the hypothalamic level resulting in a deficiency of endogenous GRF. Treatment with synthetic GRF may provide an alternative to GH therapy in such children. Finally, there is no evidence to suggest that GH therapy given to a child with radiation-induced GH deficiency might induce a brain tumour recurrence or a relapse of ALL.
CitationIrradiation-induced growth failure. 1986, 15 (3):591-606 Clin Endocrinol Metab
JournalClinics in Endocrinology and Metabolism
- Hypothalamo-pituitary-adrenal axis integrity after cranial irradiation for childhood posterior fossa tumours.
- Authors: Spoudeas HA, Charmandari E, Brook CG
- Issue date: 2003 Apr
- Growth and hormonal status of children treated for brain tumours.
- Authors: Shalet SM
- Issue date: 1982
- Treatment of radiation-induced growth hormone deficiency with growth hormone-releasing hormone.
- Authors: Ogilvy-Stuart AL, Stirling HF, Kelnar CJ, Savage MO, Dunger DB, Buckler JM, Shalet SM
- Issue date: 1997 May
- Hypothalamic growth hormone releasing factor deficiency following cranial irradiation.
- Authors: Ahmed SR, Shalet SM
- Issue date: 1984 Nov
- Effect of growth hormone-releasing factor on growth hormone release in children with radiation-induced growth hormone deficiency.
- Authors: Lustig RH, Schriock EA, Kaplan SL, Grumbach MM
- Issue date: 1985 Aug