Breast cancer risk in mothers of children with osteosarcoma and chondrosarcoma.
AffiliationDepartment of Epidemiology and Social Oncology, Children's Tumour Registry
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractMothers of a population-based series of 86 children with osteosarcoma or chondrosarcoma were traced and their health status or cause of death ascertained. There were 6 cases of breast cancer among these mothers and 6 other cancers. Risk of breast cancer was approximately three times that expected, and appeared to be highest in mothers of boys and in mothers of children under the median age at diagnosis. The mothers who developed breast cancer were relatively young at diagnosis compared with population data. Risk of other malignancies in the mothers was not in excess of expectation. These findings are in line with those reported for breast cancer risk in mothers of children with soft tissue sarcomas, and provide further indications of a genetic component in the aetiology of these cancers.
CitationBreast cancer risk in mothers of children with osteosarcoma and chondrosarcoma. 1986, 54 (5):819-23 Br J Cancer
JournalBritish Journal of Cancer
- Malignant disease in the mothers of children with Ewing's tumour.
- Authors: Hartley AL, Birch JM, Marsden HB, Harris M, Blair V
- Issue date: 1988
- Malignant melanoma in families of children with osteosarcoma, chondrosarcoma, and adrenal cortical carcinoma.
- Authors: Hartley AL, Birch JM, Marsden HB, Harris M
- Issue date: 1987 Nov
- Excess risk of breast cancer in the mothers of children with soft tissue sarcomas.
- Authors: Birch JM, Hartley AL, Marsden HB, Harris M, Swindell R
- Issue date: 1984 Mar
- Malignant disease in the mothers of a population-based series of young adults with bone and soft tissue sarcomas.
- Authors: Hartley AL, Birch JM, Blair V
- Issue date: 1991 Mar
- Review of microRNA in osteosarcoma and chondrosarcoma.
- Authors: Chang L, Shrestha S, LaChaud G, Scott MA, James AW
- Issue date: 2015 Jun