Testosterone and gonadotrophin profiles in patients on daily or monthly LHRH analogue ICI 118630 (Zoladex) compared with orchiectomy.
AffiliationDepartment of Urology, Withington Hospital, Manchester, M21 1AH, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractDiurnal profiles of circulating gonadotrophins and testosterone have been measured in patients with prostatic carcinoma on long-term treatment with the LHRH agonist analogue ICI 118630, which was administered either by subcutaneous daily injection or monthly injection of the depot preparation. These have been compared with profiles in patients who had undergone orchiectomy. Daily injection of the analogue induced a significant rise in the level of LH but this was not associated with a significant rise in circulating testosterone. There was no diurnal variation of LH or testosterone concentration in patients receiving the depot preparation and this did not differ in patients who were "mid-cycle" compared with those who were "end-cycle". The depot preparation did, however, induce significantly lower circulating levels of testosterone than did daily injection of the analogue and the levels were comparable with those achieved after orchiectomy.
CitationTestosterone and gonadotrophin profiles in patients on daily or monthly LHRH analogue ICI 118630 (Zoladex) compared with orchiectomy. 1986, 58 (5):539-44 Br J Urol
JournalBritish Journal of Urology
- Prolactin and pituitary gonadotropin values and responses to acute luteinizing hormone-releasing hormone (LHRH) challenge in patients having long-term treatment with a depot LHRH analogue.
- Authors: Mahler C, Verhelst J, Chaban M, Denis L
- Issue date: 1991 Feb 1
- Preliminary report on use of depot formulation of LHRH analogue ICI 118630 (Zoladex) in patients with prostatic cancer.
- Authors: Ahmed SR, Grant J, Shalet SM, Howell A, Chowdhury SD, Weatherson T, Blacklock NJ
- Issue date: 1985 Jan 19
- Zoladex: a sustained-release, monthly luteinizing hormone-releasing hormone analogue for the treatment of advanced prostate cancer.
- Authors: Ahmann FR, Citrin DL, deHaan HA, Guinan P, Jordan VC, Kreis W, Scott M, Trump DL
- Issue date: 1987 Jun
- An LH-RH analogue (Zoladex) in the management of carcinoma of the prostate: a preliminary report comparing daily subcutaneous injections with monthly depot injections.
- Authors: Robinson MR, Denis L, Mahler C, Walker K, Stitch R, Lunglmayr G
- Issue date: 1985 Jun
- [Clinical effect of slow release (depot) formulation of the LH-RH analogue ICI 118630 (Zoladex) in patients with prostatic carcinoma].
- Authors: Usami M, Kotake T, Matsuda M, Okajima E, Osafune M, Sonoda T
- Issue date: 1987 Jan