Study of childhood renal tumours using antisera to fibronectin, laminin, and epithelial membrane antigen.
AffiliationPaediatric Oncology Department, Christie Hospital and Holt Radium Institute, Manchester
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractUsing a peroxidase-antiperoxidase staining procedure, formalin fixed paraffin embedded sections of fetal and normal kidney; benign (mesoblastic nephroma); and malignant tumours (Wilms' tumour, clear cell renal carcinoma, rhabdoid renal tumour, and bone metastasising renal tumour of childhood (BMRTC] were examined for their reactivity with antisera to fibronectin, laminin, and epithelial membrane antigen. Mesoblastic nephroma contained fibronectin but no laminin. Most Wilms' tumours lacked both fibronectin and laminin; 50% of rhabdoid renal tumours were positive for fibronectin and laminin--rhabdoid tumours as recognised morphologically may, in fact, be two separate entities. BMRTC and clear cell renal carcinoma lacked both fibronectin and laminin. Epithelial membrane antigen was present in most of the tubular Wilms' tumour but absent in blastemal Wilms' tumours. The presence of epithelial membrane antigen in rhabdoid tumours was surprising, as histologically, this type of tumour shows no sign of epithelial differentiation. Epithelial membrane antigen antiserum stained clear cell renal carcinomas: epithelial membrane antigen is found in the distal and not the proximal tubules of fetal and normal kidneys. Thus an obvious interpretation is that clear cell renal carcinomas originate from distal rather than from proximal tubules, as has always been thought. On the basis of these results and data from other published findings some possible histogenetic origins of childhood renal tumours were proposed.
CitationStudy of childhood renal tumours using antisera to fibronectin, laminin, and epithelial membrane antigen. 1986, 39 (1):51-7 J Clin Pathol
JournalJournal of Clinical Pathology
- A study of childhood renal tumours using xenogeneic antiserum.
- Authors: Kumar S, Marsden HB, Kumar P
- Issue date: 1980 Aug
- Study of childhood renal tumours using peroxidase conjugated lectins.
- Authors: Kumar S, Carr T, Marsden HB, Morris-Jones PH
- Issue date: 1986 Jul
- Cell differentiation in Wilms' tumor (nephroblastoma): an immunohistochemical study.
- Authors: Droz D, Rousseau-Merck MF, Jaubert F, Diebold N, Nezelof C, Adafer E, Mouly H
- Issue date: 1990 May
- The distribution of epithelial membrane antigen in the kidney and its tumours.
- Authors: Fleming S, Lindop GB, Gibson AA
- Issue date: 1985 Jul
- Diagnostic utility of Wilms' tumour-1 protein (WT-1) immunostaining in paediatric renal tumours.
- Authors: Goyal S, Mishra K, Sarkar U, Sharma S, Kumari A
- Issue date: 2016 May