Mechanism of action of adjuvant chemotherapy in early breast cancer.
AffiliationImperial Cancer Research Fund Clinical Oncology Unit, Guy's Hospital, London SE1, United Kingdom
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe relation between tumour oestrogen and progesterone receptor status, menstrual status, relapse-free survival, and overall survival was analysed in 411 patients with early breast cancer randomised to receive either postoperative adjuvant chemotherapy with cyclophosphamide, methotrexate, and fluorouracil (CMF) or no additional treatment (control). Prolongation of time to recurrence and survival was seen predominantly in premenopausal patients; these effects were seen only with tumours positive for steroid receptors, particularly progesterone. Chemotherapy led to permanent amenorrhoea in 61% of premenopausal patients. The therapeutic effects of chemotherapy were seen only when CMF induced permanent amenorrhoea in premenopausal patients. These findings support the hypothesis that the effect of adjuvant chemotherapy in early breast cancer may be mediated by ovarian suppression.
CitationMechanism of action of adjuvant chemotherapy in early breast cancer. 1986, 2 (8504):411-4 Lancet
- Adjuvant chemotherapy in premenopausal patients with primary breast cancer; relation to drug-induced amenorrhoea, age and the progesterone receptor status of the tumour.
- Authors: Beex LV, Mackenzie MA, Raemaekers JM, Smals AG, Benraad TJ, Kloppenborg PW
- Issue date: 1988 Apr
- Controlled trial of adjuvant chemotherapy with cyclophosphamide, methotrexate, and fluorouracil for breast cancer.
- Authors: Howell A, Bush H, George WD, Howat JM, Crowther D, Sellwood RA, Rubens RD, Hayward JL, Bulbrook RD, Fentiman IS
- Issue date: 1984 Aug 11
- Adjuvant chemotherapy with cyclophosphamide or CMF in premenopausal women with stage II breast cancer.
- Authors: Brincker H, Mouridsen HT, Andersen KW
- Issue date: 1983
- Evidence of a castration-mediated effect of adjuvant cytotoxic chemotherapy in premenopausal breast cancer.
- Authors: Brincker H, Rose C, Rank F, Mouridsen HT, Jakobsen A, Dombernowsky P, Panduro J, Andersen KW
- Issue date: 1987 Nov
- Cyclophosphamide, methotrexate and fluorouracil (CMF) versus hormonal ablation with leuprorelin acetate as adjuvant treatment of node-positive, premenopausal breast cancer patients: preliminary results of the TABLE-study (Takeda Adjuvant Breast cancer study with Leuprorelin Acetate).
- Authors: Schmid P, Untch M, Wallwiener D, Kossé V, Bondar G, Vassiljev L, Tarutinov V, Kienle E, Lüftner D, Possinger K, TABLE-study (Takeda Adjuvant Breast cancer study with Leuprorelin Acetate).
- Issue date: 2002 Jul-Aug