A new hormonal therapy for prostatic cancer: long-term clinical and hormonal response.
AuthorsAhmed, S Rafeeq
Shalet, Stephen M
Costello, C B
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractTwenty-four patients with advanced prostatic cancer were treated with daily injections of the LHRH analogue ICI 118630 (Zoladex) for up to 2 1/2 years. Successful long-term suppression of LH (luteinising hormone) and testosterone was observed without any escape of testosterone. Immunoreactive LH concentrations rose significantly following the daily injection of LHRH analogue but there was no corresponding rise in testosterone concentrations, suggesting altered bioactivity of the LH. A long-term clinical response was obtained in 10 patients (41.6%) and the median duration of response in these patients was 25 months. Eight of the 10 had well to moderately differentiated tumours. The actuarial median survival of all patients was 22 months.
CitationA new hormonal therapy for prostatic cancer: long-term clinical and hormonal response. 1986, 58 (5):534-8 Br J Urol
JournalBritish Journal of Urology
- Preliminary report on use of depot formulation of LHRH analogue ICI 118630 (Zoladex) in patients with prostatic cancer.
- Authors: Ahmed SR, Grant J, Shalet SM, Howell A, Chowdhury SD, Weatherson T, Blacklock NJ
- Issue date: 1985 Jan 19
- Testosterone and gonadotrophin profiles in patients on daily or monthly LHRH analogue ICI 118630 (Zoladex) compared with orchiectomy.
- Authors: Grant JB, Ahmed SR, Shalet SM, Costello CB, Howell A, Blacklock NJ
- Issue date: 1986 Oct
- Zoladex: a sustained-release, monthly luteinizing hormone-releasing hormone analogue for the treatment of advanced prostate cancer.
- Authors: Ahmann FR, Citrin DL, deHaan HA, Guinan P, Jordan VC, Kreis W, Scott M, Trump DL
- Issue date: 1987 Jun
- Prolactin and pituitary gonadotropin values and responses to acute luteinizing hormone-releasing hormone (LHRH) challenge in patients having long-term treatment with a depot LHRH analogue.
- Authors: Mahler C, Verhelst J, Chaban M, Denis L
- Issue date: 1991 Feb 1
- Oestrogen pre-treatment abolishes luteinising hormone-releasing hormone testosterone stimulation.
- Authors: Kreis W, Ahmann FR, Jordan VC, de Haan H, Scott M
- Issue date: 1988 Oct