The role of radiotherapy after chemotherapy in the management of persistent para-aortic nodal disease in non-seminomatous germ cell tumours.
AbstractIn the years 1979-1982, 83 patients with malignant teratoma of the testis who had retroperitoneal adenopathy at presentation or after a period of surveillance were treated. Complete radiological resolution of disease was obtained in 34 patients and a residual mass remained in 26, the remainder having progression of the para-aortic or other metastatic disease. There was no para-aortic relapse in 47 patients receiving radiotherapy post-chemotherapy whereas 2/11 who did not receive radiotherapy or an immediate retroperitoneal node dissection relapsed. Morbidity from radiotherapy was minimal apart from subcutaneous fibrosis in the irradiated area of 6 patients. It is concluded that radiotherapy is effective in sterilising minimal residual tumour post-chemotherapy and may be considered as an alternative to surgery.
CitationThe role of radiotherapy after chemotherapy in the management of persistent para-aortic nodal disease in non-seminomatous germ cell tumours. 1986, 53 (5):623-8 Br J Cancer
JournalBritish Journal of Cancer
- Teratoma in the orchiectomy specimen and volume of metastasis are predictors of retroperitoneal teratoma in post-chemotherapy nonseminomatous testis cancer.
- Authors: Beck SD, Foster RS, Bihrle R, Ulbright T, Koch MO, Wahle GR, Einhorn LH, Donohue JP
- Issue date: 2002 Oct
- Testicular relapse after chemotherapy for malignant teratoma.
- Authors: Chan S, Sikora K
- Issue date: 1987 Oct 31
- The ultimate effect of intraoperative radiotherapy (IORT) on an irresectable retroperitoneal recurrence of a non-seminomatous testicular tumour.
- Authors: Cromheecke M, Mehta DM, Sleijfer DT, Molenaar WM, Schraffordt Koops H, Hoekstra HJ
- Issue date: 1993 Dec
- [Growing teratoma syndrome].
- Authors: Urruchi Fernández P, Cavero Rebollo O, Jiménez Mas JA, Martínez Bengoechea J, González Enguita C, Rioja Sanz LA
- Issue date: 1991 Mar-Apr
- ["Growing teratoma syndrome": an unrecognized complication of treated germ cell tumors of the testis].
- Authors: Ghaouti M, Roquet L, Fazzalari L, Sibert L, Sabourin JC
- Issue date: 2013 Dec