The radiation sensitivity of the haemopoietic microenvironment--effect of dose rate on ectopic ossicle formation.
AffiliationDepartment of Experimental Haematology, Paterson Institute for Cancer Research, Christie Hospital and Holt Radium Institute, Withington, Manchester, U.K.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe haemopoietic microenvironment (HM) consists of a complex mixture of cellular types and extra-cellular matrix. It is essential for prolonged haemopoiesis in both the normal situation and after bone marrow transplantation. The competence of the HM can be assessed by ectopic grafting of femoral marrow. A complete haemopoietic organ develops at the site of implantation. Stem cells (CFU-S) which inhabit the ossicle formed after ectopic implantation can be measured, to assess the function of the engrafted HM to support haemopoiesis. Using this functional endpoint we have examined the radiation sensitivity of the HM at both high and low dose rates, and conclude that high doses of gamma-irradiation delivered at 4 Gy/min or 0.016 Gy/min have widely different effects on the HM, the former proving much more damaging than the latter.
CitationThe radiation sensitivity of the haemopoietic microenvironment--effect of dose rate on ectopic ossicle formation. 1987, 10 (2):157-61 Radiother Oncol
JournalRadiotherapy and Oncology
- Effect of short-term splitting of gamma-ray doses on changes in haemopoietic stem cell number in bone marrow and on mortality of whole-body irradiated mice.
- Authors: Vávrová J, Petýrek P
- Issue date: 1988
- Greater sparing of stromal progenitor cells than of haemopoietic stem cells in gamma-irradiated mouse marrow using low dose-rates.
- Authors: Hendry JH, Wang SB, Testa NG
- Issue date: 1984
- Standardization of procedures for ectopic marrow grafting. II. Influence on recipients of radiation dose and field size.
- Authors: Molineux G, Schofield R, Hendry JH, Testa NG
- Issue date: 1987 Jul
- [Changes in the resistance of mice to whole-body lethal irradiation after local irradiation of the abdominal area].
- Authors: Korytnyĭ VS, Malkina RM
- Issue date: 1987 Mar-Apr
- Sensitivity and recovery of stromal progenitor cells (CFU-F) in mouse bone marrow given gamma-irradiation at 0.65 Gy per day.
- Authors: Wang SB, Hendry JH, Testa NG
- Issue date: 1987