Radiobiology and stathmokinetics of intestinal crypts associated with patches of Peyer.
AbstractThe stathmokinetics and radiobiology of intestinal crypts directly adjoining the lymphoid patches of Peyer, have been compared with those of non-patch-associated crypts. Patch crypts contain an additional one to two rings of cells, the Mitotic Index for the whole crypt is higher than in non-patch crypts, and the apparent cell cycle time is insignificantly lower. Using single and split doses of gamma-rays, dose-survival curves were obtained for whole intestinal crypts, from which single-cell survival curves were derived for the clonogenic cells of the crypt. For a single-hit, multitarget, model, the extrapolation numbers of the cell survival curves for patch and non-patch crypts were the same (approximately 35) but the final D0 for cells of the patch crypts was significantly higher (2.1 versus 1.7 Gy). A linear-quadratic fit gave a similar ratio of alpha/beta (approximately 10) for the two curves. For a given level of crypt depletion, the number of clonogenic cells per crypt derived by the use of equal split doses of radiation, was the same for patch and non-patch crypts. This number is a function of the dose regime employed: the higher the level of crypt depletion, the higher the derived number of cells (range 10 to 45, for non-patch crypts).
CitationRadiobiology and stathmokinetics of intestinal crypts associated with patches of Peyer. 1987, 51 (2):255-64 Int. J Radiat Biol Relat Stud Phys Chem Med
JournalInternational Journal of Radiation Biology and Related Studies in Physics, Chemistry, and Medicine
- The effect of proliferative status and clonogen content on the response of mouse jejunal crypts to split-dose irradiation.
- Authors: Thames HD, Ruifrok AC, Mason KA
- Issue date: 1997 Feb
- Cell proliferation in follicle-associated epithelium of mouse Peyer's patch.
- Authors: Smith MW, Jarvis LG, King IS
- Issue date: 1980 Oct
- Changes in clonogen number and radiation sensitivity in mouse jejunal crypts after treatment with dimethylsulfoxide and retinoic acid.
- Authors: Ruifrok AC, Mason KA, Thames HD
- Issue date: 1996 Jun
- Differential distribution of lymphocytes and accessory cells in mouse Peyer's patches.
- Authors: Ermak TH, Owen RL
- Issue date: 1986 Jun
- Protection of the Peyer's patch-associated crypt and villus epithelium against methotrexate-induced damage is based on its distinct regulation of proliferation.
- Authors: Renes IB, Verburg M, Bulsing NP, Ferdinandusse S, Büller HA, Dekker J, Einerhand AW
- Issue date: 2002 Sep