Lack of differential sparing of late ischaemic atrophy and early epidermal healing, after dose fractionation of mouse tails down to 2.6 Gy per fraction.
AuthorsHendry, Jolyon H
AffiliationDepartment of Radiobiology, Paterson Institute for Cancer Research, Christie Hospital and Holt Radium Institute, Manchester M20 9BX, U.K.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractLong-term atrophy of irradiated mouse tails began after about 5 months, and the incidence rose steadily to the end of the lifespan. The major associated histological change was atherosclerosis in the single tail artery. The incidence of the ischaemic atrophy was dependent on the size of the irradiated volume. The probability of ischaemic atrophy assessed at 3 years after irradiation was little dependent on the dose. The fractionation effect was described by alpha/beta congruent to 30 Gy, which was not lower than the range of values applicable for healing of the early epidermal reactions on the tail. Hence the general finding of a sparing of late effects in tissues using low doses per fraction was not observed in these experiments using dose fractions down to 2.6 Gy and the present endpoints.
CitationLack of differential sparing of late ischaemic atrophy and early epidermal healing, after dose fractionation of mouse tails down to 2.6 Gy per fraction. 1987, 8 (2):153-60 Radiother Oncol
JournalRadiotherapy and Oncology
- The effect of fractionated doses of radiation on mouse spinal cord.
- Authors: Lo Y, Taylor JM, McBride WH, Withers HR
- Issue date: 1993 Sep 30
- RBE values and repair characteristics for colo-rectal injury after caesium 137 gamma-ray and neutron irradiation. II. Fractionation up to ten doses.
- Authors: Terry NH, Denekamp J
- Issue date: 1984 Jul
- Tolerance of rodent tails to necrosis after "daily" fractionated X rays or D-T neutrons.
- Authors: Hendry JH, Rosenberg I, Greene D, Stewart JG
- Issue date: 1976 Aug
- Late radiation response of the canine trachea with change in dose per fraction.
- Authors: Powers BE, McChesney SL, Gillette EL
- Issue date: 1987 Nov
- Fractionation sensitivity and latency of late radiation injury to the mouse urinary bladder.
- Authors: Bentzen SM, Lundbeck F, Christensen LL, Overgaard J
- Issue date: 1992 Dec