A comparison of adriamycin and mAMSA. II. Studies with V79 and human tumour multicellular spheroids.
AffiliationPaterson Institute for Cancer Research, Christie Hospital and Holt Radium Institute, Manchester, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractMulticellular spheroids were used to compare the two chemotherapeutic agents adriamycin (ADM) and 4'[(9-acridinyl)-amino] methanesulphon-m-anisidide (mAMSA). Chinese hamster cells, V79 379A, a human small cell lung carcinoma, designated ME/MAR, and a human melanoma xenograft, HX117, were grown as spheroids (200 or 400 micron in diameter) and treated with either drug for 1 h, at 37 degrees C, in air. Cytotoxicity was assayed using both cell survival and growth delay. Both drugs were highly toxic towards V79 but showed less activity toward the human tumour single cell suspensions; ADM was more effective towards HX117 and ME/MAR than mAMSA. When grown as spheroids, the cells developed marked resistance to both drugs. In all cases, cytotoxicity was drug dose and spheroid size dependent. The response of HX117 spheroids to both drugs was similar. In contrast, ADM was more effective toward 200 micron diameter ME/MAR spheroids, and mAMSA showed greater activity than ADM against V79 spheroids. Both endpoints gave qualitatively equivalent results, and a comparison of the two showed relatively long growth delays for a given level of cell kill, for both drugs and with all three cell lines. The greater cytotoxicity of ADM toward ME/MAR spheroids is consistent with the clinical finding that ADM has a use in the treatment of small cell carcinoma of the lung, while mAMSA has not demonstrated any activity in the treatment of lung cancer.
CitationA comparison of adriamycin and mAMSA. II. Studies with V79 and human tumour multicellular spheroids. 1987, 20 (2):109-14 Cancer Chemother. Pharmacol.
JournalCancer Chemotherapy and Pharmacology
- The radiation response of V79 and human tumour multicellular spheroids--cell survival and growth delay studies.
- Authors: West CM, Sandhu RR, Stratford IJ
- Issue date: 1984 Aug
- A comparison of adriamycin and mAMSA in vitro: cell lethality and SCE studies.
- Authors: West C, Stratford IJ, Barrass N, Smith E
- Issue date: 1981 Dec
- Comparative in vitro cytotoxicities of adriamycin (ADM) and 4'[(9-acridinyl)-amino] methane sulphon-m-anisidide (mAMSA)
- Authors: Hill BT, Whelan RD
- Issue date: 1988
- The relationship between tumour geometry and the response of tumour cells to cytotoxic drugs--an in vitro study using EMT6 multicellular spheroids.
- Authors: Kwok TT, Twentyman PR
- Issue date: 1985 May 15
- Activity of 4'-(9-acridinylamino)methanesulfon-m-anisidide against Chinese hamster cells in multicellular spheroids.
- Authors: Wilson WR, Whitmore GF, Hill RP
- Issue date: 1981 Jul