Overview of randomized trials of postoperative adjuvant radiotherapy in breast cancer.
Lythgoe, J P
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractAn overview of the mortality results of the mature trials in which radiotherapy was a randomized option after simple or radical mastectomy is presented. The principal aim of the overview was to study long-term survival, and recent trials, often including chemotherapy options, have not been included. A total of 7941 patients were entered into these trials and 4148 deaths occurred. No differences were found in survival in the first 10 years of follow-up, in trials employing either radical mastectomy or simple mastectomy. Follow-up information after 10 years came mostly from trials employing radical mastectomy with or without irradiation, and in these trials a significant excess of deaths was observed among patients given radiotherapy (P less than 0.001, all trials; P = 0.002, radical mastectomy trials only). Further data collection will be necessary to determine which causes of death are elevated.
CitationOverview of randomized trials of postoperative adjuvant radiotherapy in breast cancer. 1987, 71 (1):15-29 Cancer Treat Rep
JournalCancer Treatment Reports
- Overview of randomized trials comparing radical mastectomy without radiotherapy against simple mastectomy with radiotherapy in breast cancer.
- Authors: Cuzick J, Stewart H, Peto R, Fisher B, Kaae S, Johansen H, Lythgoe JP, Prescott RJ
- Issue date: 1987 Jan
- The incidence of lung carcinoma after surgery for breast carcinoma with and without postoperative radiotherapy. Results of National Surgical Adjuvant Breast and Bowel Project (NSABP) clinical trials B-04 and B-06.
- Authors: Deutsch M, Land SR, Begovic M, Wieand HS, Wolmark N, Fisher B
- Issue date: 2003 Oct 1
- Randomized clinical trials in breast cancer: a tabular summary. Part 1: Primary breast cancer.
- Authors: Conrad B, Kieser R
- Issue date: 1986
- Locoregional radiation therapy in patients with high-risk breast cancer receiving adjuvant chemotherapy: 20-year results of the British Columbia randomized trial.
- Authors: Ragaz J, Olivotto IA, Spinelli JJ, Phillips N, Jackson SM, Wilson KS, Knowling MA, Coppin CM, Weir L, Gelmon K, Le N, Durand R, Coldman AJ, Manji M
- Issue date: 2005 Jan 19
- Low locoregional recurrence rate among node-negative breast cancer patients with tumors 5 cm or larger treated by mastectomy, with or without adjuvant systemic therapy and without radiotherapy: results from five national surgical adjuvant breast and bowel project randomized clinical trials.
- Authors: Taghian AG, Jeong JH, Mamounas EP, Parda DS, Deutsch M, Costantino JP, Wolmark N
- Issue date: 2006 Aug 20