Infiltrating lobular carcinoma of the breast: response to endocrine therapy and survival.
AffiliationCancer Research Campaign Department of Medical Oncology, Christie Hospital and Holt Radium Institute, Manchester, U.K.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe records of 480 patients who received systemic therapy for advanced breast cancer in the University Hospital of South Manchester from 1975 to 1983 were examined. There were 264 with infiltrating duct carcinomas (IDC) and 33 with infiltrating lobular carcinomas (ILC) for whom the response to endocrine therapy was known. There were 92 responses (35%) among the IDC patients and 9 (27%) among the ILC patients. Sixty-seven per cent of IDC patients tested had steroid hormone receptor positive tumours compared to 90% for ILC (P less than 0.001). Comparison of survival from diagnosis, disease free interval and survival from relapse showed no significant differences between the two groups. Thus despite almost all ILC patients having hormone receptor positive tumours their survival was similar to that of IDC patients. This appears to be due to a lower than expected response rate to endocrine therapy. This is a further indication of the different biological characteristics of these two histological sub-types of breast carcinoma.
CitationInfiltrating lobular carcinoma of the breast: response to endocrine therapy and survival. 1987, 23 (7):979-82 Eur J Cancer Clin Oncol
JournalEuropean Journal of Cancer & Clinical Oncology
- The biological and clinical characteristics of breast carcinoma with mixed ductal and lobular morphology.
- Authors: Rakha EA, Gill MS, El-Sayed ME, Khan MM, Hodi Z, Blamey RW, Evans AJ, Lee AH, Ellis IO
- Issue date: 2009 Mar
- The role of histological subtype in hormone receptor positive metastatic breast cancer: similar survival but different therapeutic approaches.
- Authors: Lobbezoo D, Truin W, Voogd A, Roumen R, Vreugdenhil G, Dercksen MW, van den Berkmortel F, Smilde T, van de Wouw A, van Kampen R, van Riel J, Peters N, Peer P, Tjan-Heijnen VC
- Issue date: 2016 May 17
- Infiltrating lobular carcinoma of the breast: tumor characteristics and clinical outcome.
- Authors: Arpino G, Bardou VJ, Clark GM, Elledge RM
- Issue date: 2004
- Relative effectiveness of adjuvant chemotherapy for invasive lobular compared with invasive ductal carcinoma of the breast.
- Authors: Marmor S, Hui JYC, Huang JL, Kizy S, Beckwith H, Blaes AH, Rueth NM, Tuttle TM
- Issue date: 2017 Aug 15
- Influence of semi-quantitative oestrogen receptor expression on adjuvant endocrine therapy efficacy in ductal and lobular breast cancer - a TEAM study analysis.
- Authors: van de Water W, Fontein DB, van Nes JG, Bartlett JM, Hille ET, Putter H, Robson T, Liefers GJ, Roumen RM, Seynaeve C, Dirix LY, Paridaens R, Kranenbarg EM, Nortier JW, van de Velde CJ
- Issue date: 2013 Jan