Differential MHC class II expression on human peripheral blood monocytes and dendritic cells.
AffiliationPaterson Institute for Cancer Research, Christie Hospital and Holt Radium Institute, Manchester, U.K.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractBoth monocytes (MO) and dendritic cells (DC) in human peripheral blood are of a plastic-adherent nature. The expression of the MHC class II sublocus products HLA-DP, -DQ and -DR on human peripheral blood transiently adherent cells (TA) was examined by an immunocytochemical staining technique. While most TA showed strong expression of molecules of the HLA-DR subtype, only a small proportion of cells (2-6%) showed strong HLA-DP or -DQ positivity. This strong expression of the HLA-DP and HLA-DQ sublocus products by a subset of TA was seen only after short-term culture; freshly isolated cells expressed comparatively low levels of these molecules. Enrichment for Fc receptor-negative or low-density cells from TA produced populations with strong HLA-DQ and -DP expression. Such co-enrichment of the strongly HLA-DQ+ and strongly HLA-DP+ cells suggests that the same cells express high levels of both types of MHC class II molecule. Immunocytochemical analysis of TA indicated that the strongly HLA-DQ+ cells, at least, were only weakly or non-reactive with the MO-specific monoclonal antibodies OKM1, UCHM1, MO2 and EB11. In addition, strongly HLA-DQ- or -DP-positive cells were poorly phagocytic in comparison with the majority of adherent cells. The apparent FcR-negative, low-density and weakly phagocytic nature of the strongly HLA-DQ/DP+ cells, combined with their lack of reactivity with several MO-specific antibodies, suggests that they may represent the DC component of TA. Such strong HLA-DQ/DP expression by DC may aid their positive identification in human peripheral blood and may be of relevance to DC function in antigen presentation.
CitationDifferential MHC class II expression on human peripheral blood monocytes and dendritic cells. 1988, 63 (2):303-11 Immunology
- Monoclonal antibodies to HLA-DP, DQ, and DR determinants: functional effects on the activation and proliferation of normal and EBV-transformed B cells.
- Authors: Howard DR, Eaves AC, Takei F
- Issue date: 1986 Oct
- Monoclonal antibodies to sheep MHC class II molecules recognize all HLA-D or subsets of HLA-D region products.
- Authors: Puri NK, de Kretser T, Brandon MR
- Issue date: 1987 Nov
- Antigen presentation by adherent cells from human peripheral blood. Correlation between T-cell activation and expression of HLA-DQ and -DR antigens.
- Authors: Nunez G, Ball EJ, Stastny P
- Issue date: 1987 May
- Dendritic cells and monocytes as accessory cells in T-cell responses in man. I. Phenotypic analysis of dendritic cells and monocytes.
- Authors: Gaudernack G, Bjercke S
- Issue date: 1985 May
- Major histocompatibility complex (MHC) class II antigen (HLA-DR, DQ, and DP) expression in human fetal endocrine organs and gut.
- Authors: Oliver AM, Thomson AW, Sewell HF, Abramovich DR
- Issue date: 1988 Jun