Restriction of expression of an integrated recombinant retrovirus in primary but not immortalized murine hematopoietic stem cells.
AffiliationDivision of Hematology-Oncology, Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Boston, MA.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractA recombinant retrovirus (DHFR*-SVADA) in which human adenosine deaminase (ADA) cDNA is transcribed from an internal SV40 promoter was used to infect murine hematopoietic stem and progenitor cells. Human ADA enzyme was not expressed in infected primary murine pluripotent stem cell-derived spleen or progenitor colonies (CFU-GM, CFU-Mix, BFU-E). In contrast, human ADA enzyme activity was readily detected in progenitor colonies derived from immortalized multipotent factor-dependent cells. The level of human enzyme was near endogenous murine enzyme levels and was equivalent in undifferentiated stem cells and differentiated myeloid, erythroid, and mixed colonies. These results indicate that cellular properties other than the stage of differentiation are important in determining the expression of foreign sequences introduced by retroviruses. Cell lines that are immortalized but still capable of induced differentiation may contain factors that abrogate blocks to expression that are manifested in primary hematopoietic stem cells.
CitationRestriction of expression of an integrated recombinant retrovirus in primary but not immortalized murine hematopoietic stem cells. 1988, 71 (6):1738-43 Blood
- Retrovirus-mediated transfer of human adenosine deaminase gene sequences into cells in culture and into murine hematopoietic cells in vivo.
- Authors: Williams DA, Orkin SH, Mulligan RC
- Issue date: 1986 Apr
- Retrovirus-mediated gene transfer of human adenosine deaminase: expression of functional enzyme in murine hematopoietic stem cells in vivo.
- Authors: Lim B, Williams DA, Orkin SH
- Issue date: 1987 Oct
- Stem cell factor, interleukin-3, and interleukin-6 promote retroviral-mediated gene transfer into murine hematopoietic stem cells.
- Authors: Luskey BD, Rosenblatt M, Zsebo K, Williams DA
- Issue date: 1992 Jul 15
- Long-term expression of human adenosine deaminase in mice transplanted with retrovirus-infected hematopoietic stem cells.
- Authors: Lim B, Apperley JF, Orkin SH, Williams DA
- Issue date: 1989 Nov
- Gene transfer of adenosine deaminase into primitive human hematopoietic progenitor cells.
- Authors: Cournoyer D, Scarpa M, Mitani K, Moore KA, Markowitz D, Bank A, Belmont JW, Caskey CT
- Issue date: 1991 Fall