Heparan sulphate-degrading endoglycosidase in liver plasma membranes.
AffiliationCancer Research Campaign Department of Medical Oncology, Christie Hospital, University of Manchester, U.K.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractAn endoglycosidase is described in isolated liver plasma membranes that brings about a rapid and selective degradation of membrane-associated heparan sulphate, pre-labelled biosynthetically with Na2(35)SO4. The enzyme attacked mainly the polysaccharide chains of a hydrophobic membrane proteoglycan and it had little effect on a proteoglycan that could be displaced from the membranes with 1.0 M-NaCl. The highest activity was measured in the pH range 7.5-8.0, and the enzyme was almost completely inhibited below pH 5.5. Breakdown of susceptible polysaccharide chains was fast, being complete in 20-30 min. The major oligosaccharide fraction (Mr approx. 6000) produced by the enzyme was considerably smaller than the intact heparan sulphate chains. Enzyme activity was retained in membranes solubilized in 1% (v/v) Triton X-100. The high pH optimum and plasma-membrane association distinguish this enzyme from other heparan sulphate-degrading endoglycosidases that have acid pH optima and may be of lysosomal origin. A plasma-membrane endoglycosidase could modulate cellular interactions mediated by heparan sulphate, and/or release biologically active fragments of the polysaccharide from the cell periphery.
CitationHeparan sulphate-degrading endoglycosidase in liver plasma membranes. 1988, 250 (3):719-26 Biochem. J.
JournalThe Biochemical Journal
- Abeta(1-40) prevents heparanase-catalyzed degradation of heparan sulfate glycosaminoglycans and proteoglycans in vitro. A role for heparan sulfate proteoglycan turnover in Alzheimer's disease.
- Authors: Bame KJ, Danda J, Hassall A, Tumova S
- Issue date: 1997 Jul 4
- Secretion and degradation of lipoprotein lipase in cultured adipocytes. Binding of lipoprotein lipase to membrane heparan sulfate proteoglycans is necessary for degradation.
- Authors: Cisar LA, Hoogewerf AJ, Cupp M, Rapport CA, Bensadoun A
- Issue date: 1989 Jan 25
- Analysis of heparan-sulphate chains and oligosaccharides from proliferating and quiescent fibroblasts. A proposed model for endoheparanase activity.
- Authors: Schmidtchen A, Fransson LA
- Issue date: 1994 Jul 1
- Chondroitin sulphate proteoglycan in the substratum adhesion sites of Balb/c 3T3 cells. Fractionation on various ion-exchange and affinity columns.
- Authors: Wightman BC, Weltman EA, Culp LA
- Issue date: 1986 Apr 15
- Oligosaccharides generated by an endoglucuronidase are intermediates in the intracellular degradation of heparan sulfate proteoglycans.
- Authors: Kjellén L, Pertoft H, Oldberg A, Höök M
- Issue date: 1985 Jul 15