The doubling time of regenerating clonogenic cells in the crypts of the irradiated mouse small intestine.
AffiliationDepartment of Epithelial Biology, Paterson Institute for Cancer Research, Christie Hospital, Manchester, U.K.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe number of clonogenic cells per intestinal crypt has been estimated in control and gamma-irradiated mice, from the response to a single or two test doses. Control unirradiated mice contained 43 +/- 8 clonogenic cells per crypt, which was reduced to about 3 per crypt immediately after 8.0 Gy. After a mitotic delay which was approximately 18 h or 2.25 h/Gy the number of clonogenic cells per crypt increased exponentially with a doubling time of 21 +/- 4 h to reach the control values by about the 4th day postirradiation. The growth curve was related to the changes in total cellularity and the cell production rate per crypt. Since both of these rise during the period of clonogenic regrowth some clonogenic cells must be diverted into the dividing transit cell population, so that the cell cycle time will be shorter than the doubling time given above.
CitationThe doubling time of regenerating clonogenic cells in the crypts of the irradiated mouse small intestine. 1988, 54 (6):1041-51 Int. J. Radiat. Biol.
JournalInternational Journal of Radiation Biology
- The temporal and spatial changes in cell proliferation within the irradiated crypts of the murine small intestine.
- Authors: Potten CS, Owen G, Roberts SA
- Issue date: 1990 Jan
- Differential regeneration of intestinal proliferative cells and cryptogenic cells after irradiation.
- Authors: Potten CS, Hendry JH
- Issue date: 1975 May
- Small intestinal growth regulatory factors extracted by simple diffusion from intact irradiated intestine and tested in vivo.
- Authors: Potten CS, Chadwick CA
- Issue date: 1994
- The relationship between ionizing radiation-induced apoptosis and stem cells in the small and large intestine.
- Authors: Potten CS, Grant HK
- Issue date: 1998 Oct
- Altered stem cell regeneration in irradiated intestinal crypts of senescent mice.
- Authors: Martin K, Potten CS, Roberts SA, Kirkwood TB
- Issue date: 1998 Aug