Production of a multipotential cell (CFU-S) proliferation inhibitor by various populations of mouse and human macrophages.
AffiliationPaterson Institute for Cancer Research, Christie Hospital and Holt Radium Institute, Manchester.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractSome bone marrow macrophages from a variety of animal species synthesize a proliferation inhibitor which specifically inhibits the flow of murine CFU-S into DNA-synthesis. Macrophages from other sources have now been assayed for their capacity to produce this inhibitor. Macrophages from mouse blood, marrow, spleen and peritoneum and human blood were cultured and their ability to produce inhibitor assayed against proliferating CFU-S by the tritiated thymidine suicide assay. Inhibitor was observed in all mouse and most human preparations though with varying degrees of activity, showing functional heterogeneity in the development of macrophages in different tissues. Peripheral blood from both mouse and human showed activity approaching that of fresh marrow. This confirms that mouse assay systems can be used to study the human counterpart of the mouse CFU-S proliferation inhibitor and that blood is a convenient source of material for purification and characterization studies.
CitationProduction of a multipotential cell (CFU-S) proliferation inhibitor by various populations of mouse and human macrophages. 1988, 68 (2):153-7 Br. J. Haematol.
JournalBritish Journal of Haematology
- Enrichment of CFU-S proliferation inhibitor-producing cells based on their identification by the monoclonal antibody F4/80.
- Authors: Simmons PJ, Lord BI
- Issue date: 1985 Oct
- Proliferation of spleen colony forming units (CFU-S8, CFU-S13) and cells with marrow repopulating ability.
- Authors: Lord BI, Woolford LB
- Issue date: 1993 May
- Interleukin 3 promotes the in vitro proliferation of murine pluripotent hematopoietic stem cells.
- Authors: Spivak JL, Smith RR, Ihle JN
- Issue date: 1985 Oct
- Identification and characterization of an inhibitor of haemopoietic stem cell proliferation.
- Authors: Graham GJ, Wright EG, Hewick R, Wolpe SD, Wilkie NM, Donaldson D, Lorimore S, Pragnell IB
- Issue date: 1990 Mar 29
- The cellular specificity of haemopoietic stem cell proliferation regulators.
- Authors: Tejero C, Testa NG, Lord BI
- Issue date: 1984 Sep